Author Topic: when did you start your little ones and with what?  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: when did you start your little ones and with what?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 12:16:24 pm »
Josh great topic. I started my kids on a cedar (juniper) limb bows. No tillering or anything. Just a scraped limb and a string.

Cipriano

That takes me back.  Cedar branches were my second step into archery.  My first step was willow saplings.  Cedar was ten times better.  Even after all these years I still have a soft spot for ERC .  I  hope my children can look back at their first experiences with archery as fondly as I do.  Josh

Offline Kpete

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 01:49:59 pm »
I started mine about age 3.  I had a little bear recurve that was 15 lbs. Of course they only pulled it a little ways.   My last one I made a hickory self bow for.  Scary when I test fired it in the house(I know, dumb) at a box of papers.   Serious cast for such a little bow.
I made arrows out of 5/16 ramen  dowels from Ace.
My youngest is 22 now, and that little hickory bow still hangs in his room and he handles it every time he comes home from college.
All my kids kind of drifted to archery while in highschool, but gift bows from a good friend have them back in it again.
My middle one went to a shoot with me in Nebr at Halsey Forest(yes there are trees in Nebr.)  When ever anyone shot and hit the target in any place he would shout with gusto, "GOOD SHOT!"  I CAN still see him in little rubber pull-on boots and red shorts.
This is our Legacy.  And Men, time with a dad who loves them and cares for them builds character and good citizens.  Fathers are vital for leadership.   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:29 pm »
I didnt get a chance to start mine untiil he was 9. Thats when I met and married momma. He shot about 2 or 3 arrows from a Kodiak Mag and asked for his own wood bow. Now the little turd has 2-3 of his own wood bows!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 03:48:28 am »
I hear you on the 2 or 3 of his own.  Everytime I'm in the shop working on a bow, at least one of my kids comes in and asks if I making it for them.  My thirteen year old daughter actually asked me if that 76" Russian olive warbow was for her!  Its a full time job just keeping them in arrows.  I wouldn't trade it for the world though.  Watching my kids learn and develop their focus and skill is something I will always treasure.  Josh   

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:12 am »
3 something ?  :D :D :D

5 something

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20:49 am »
 ;D ;D 8) Now that's cool!  No need to worry about anyone walking over that one in a few years!  She looks serious!  Great form on her weaver stance to.  Especially for 5 yrs old.  Really cool!  Josh

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
I've got a 7 and a 4 year old boy.  Been buying youth bows since before the oldest was born.  ;D They have both been shooting bb guns and throwing knives and shooting bows since about the time they could walk.  Just lately have they both realy found enjoyment in archery.  I think it's because they can pull the bows back a little further now.  Both like to shoot the long shot up into the woods, but the 4 yo is now trying to hit the target like Papa.  Pretty cool.  The knife throwing has gotten a little more dangerous since they can both throw pretty hard now...watch out!!  And w/ that said, let's remember not to leave them alone w/ these weapons.  They arn't toys, just miniture tools for protection and sustinance.  Keep it up all, dpgratz

George Carlin said something like this, "All the problems in the world stem from a poor Father/Son relationship."  That's not exactly how it went, but close.  Quoted from"When Will Jesus Bring the PorkChops". 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:24 pm »
I'm only 17, thank God i have no kids. But hey you guys should be proud. If i had a son i'd start him early too. Get them started young, they'll be killers by age 13  >:D haha just kidding. But yea i wish my father had any types of skills he could have passed down onto me. He was too busy being a businessman though. I'd rather have interesting life skills passed down than money. Thats just me though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Weylin

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:35 am »
Awesome topic. I have a 2 1/2 year old boy that loves to help me make my bows. he always asks for a tool so I'll give him a little file and let him go to town on the other limb that i'm not working on. He also likes to floor tiller my bows. Ronan will grab a bow and bring it over to the carpet and start straining and grunting trying to bend it. He'll say "It's bending a little bit, Papa." or "It looks good, Papa. Just take off a little more wood"

I'm a Montessori teacher for young kids (3-6 y.o.) and the method is very focused on real, practical hands on activities. Children in our society are so deprived of these kinds of activities and it seriously detrimental to their development. Little kids want nothing more to be able to see the adults in their lives doing hands on, day to day stuff and then they want to get their hands on it and do it too. Think about what kids in a primitive society do all day. They hang around the adults in their group who are working on various tasks and projects. the kids grab whatever is at hand and imitate the adults whether it is pounding rocks, cooking and cleaning, making things or hunting and stalking. To the kids it's a game and serious work at the same time. It's how we were meant to grow and learn not plugged in to a TV or an ipad. What you guys are doing for your children by including them in bow making and shooting is a true gift to them. There will likely be no fonder memories in their whole lives.  Anyway, off my soapbox and back to bows...

I'm planning on making some sort of self bow for Ronan for his 3rd birthday. I'm thinking about using a vinemaple bow that I had try to make for my dad but I broke it in the tillering process. there is plenty of wood there to make a little bow. I've just never made anything that small so it's a little intimidating. it's good to see some of the weight and draw length for your little guys. That helps me have something to shoot for.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 01:04:55 pm »
Great shot and a happy looking little fella. I can imagine its pretty hard to make a bow that small and light yet still safe??
My little boy is 18 months so advice appreciated in making tiny man bows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »
Dwardo, a 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick oak slat from the lumber yard or you can cut one from hickory or maple or whatever you want, 4' long 3" grip with 1 1/2" fades, cut straight taper to 1/2" tip's and sand, glue on tip overlays and shape the grip, cut the nock's and you have a bowthat he can shoot from 2-3 yrs old till 5-6, i backed the ones i made with cloth for a little saftey as young ones can be hard on thing's, fast and easy to make so if he brakes it you can have another ready the next day, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »
around three yrs old, Bub

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:39 am »
gun doc  that's my kid no tiller beginer bow, when they get a little older they get a bow with lot's of scraping in them like these, Bub

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
That is cool, bet all the neighborhood kids are jealous!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:00 am »
   I couldn't seem to do anything right introducing my son to hunting and such. He got mad when I killed birds and rabbits. When he was about 7 I had him watch while I slaughtered a goat, that went over like a ton of poop, turns out the goat was his "friend". He was ok with fishing and loves the outdoors just wants no part of hunting himself, has no problem with me or anyone else hunting, he did some time as a game warden and is really a stickler on ethics in hunting. He does seem to enjoy making beer and wine like his pop and we have always had a great relationship, we are just a bit different.