Author Topic: when did you start your little ones and with what?  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Josh B

when did you start your little ones and with what?
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:17:17 am »
My son was standing beside me looking at the new posts yesterday and asked me if his bow was on the 'Puter'.  When I told him it wasn't, he went and got his bow and stood there looking at me.  I eventually caught on and we went outside and I snapped a few of him shooting his bow.  I didn't manage to catch him at full draw ,but here is Gunner, 3 1/2 yrs old, with his Osage selfbow that I made for his 3rd birthday.  It pulls a whopping  6# @  14".   Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: when did you start your little ones and with what?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:58:52 am »
I started Beau with about the same stuff at about 3,that is a good looking young man and good looking bow. I don't think you can start them to early and they pick up a lot quicker than most think. :) Love seeing that. :) My boy in 26 now and has loved archery and shooting a bow all his life,I think because of starting him early in life. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:38:29 pm »
That's too cool. I mde my kids bows as soon as I got interested. they were 12, 6, 3.  oldest dont shoot( she swims) but the younger boys shoot.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
I got my oldest son started around 4 yo with a PVC bow.  After that I made him a red oak pyramid bow, and now he's shooting a Maddog longbow I won over on TG.  My youngest son will be turning 4 in about a month and a half.  He's shown some interest, so it's probably about time to find another section of PVC.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Online Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:30:38 pm »
  My grandaughter is almost 3 and she is almost getting to a point where I can get her to pull the bow, now I have to get her to pull it with an arrow in it. Great looking boy you have their and the bow is cool also. Steve

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:40:11 pm »
I think when the show interest more so than at a certain age. My oldest jumped on the wagon about age 10 the youngest about 8. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »
   I started my boys when they started to show some interest in watching me show. I think HUNTER was 5 or 6 and my youngest son BRIER I think he was 7 or 8. We, they helped  built there own osage bows. I did'nt try straight out about any form or anything. Kids don't care. I'd take them walking out through the pastures and let them shoot away. All a kid likes to do is watch his arrows fly and there arrows stick in the ground.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:37 pm »
don't remember on my boys but the grandkids all got a bow at around three, Levi is in kindergarten and runs to get his bow to shoot whenever i'm aroud, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:28 pm »
Ok after seeing this and most guys getting there little ones shooting around 3 I need to get my boy a bow made asap he is 2 1/2 in a couple weeks >:D He loves it when I pull the bows out he comes running but he doesnt have his own. His cousins and all the neighbor kids around here have bows and arrows and they are 4, 4, 5, 7 and 10 and when the weather is nice we have little shoots over here at my place or at a field near by. Sure is fun watching those kiddos enjoy archery!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »
I started my oldest son with a hickory self bow when he was three years old.  11# @ 18" and 52" long was the bow.  My youngest has not started shooting yet.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »
Just remember not to stress form or accuracy.  In fact, you will have your hands full trying to keep him from shooting at certain stuff.  Don't be surprised if you find yourself fetching arrows for your budding flight shooter.  The first year or two is about fun not form.  Oh, BTW, a 1/4" oak dowel propelled by a 6 lb. bow will not only punch holes in vinyl siding, but go right through bathroom window glass. ;)  Don't ask me how I know that. :-X :-[   Josh

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:47 am »
Josh great topic. I started my kids on a cedar (juniper) limb bows. No tillering or anything. Just a scraped limb and a string.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:14 am »
My son is 5. And has a fg recurve 20@24" that he's shot since he was 3. I bought it for him when I first started bow making when he was bout 6 no old. Last week we went out in the yard to shoot. He ask me to put the arrow on the string for him. So I did and he had his most attentive shooting time ever. At least 15 min of shooting or fetching his own arrows. He has never paid that much attention to anything but TV before.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 04:19:10 am »
At least 15 min of shooting or fetching his own arrows. He has never paid that much attention to anything but TV before.

Thats great, my daughter is 5 and all she wants to do is watch TV.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:42:09 am »
Not all my post posted  >:(

Josh, that's a quote and a story you need to save. That little one was really thinking about that. Great story and even better pics ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.