Author Topic: Hackberry Recurve #2 Update, couple more pics plus shooting video...  (Read 5636 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Well this one is shorter than the first one. 62 3/4" nock to nock. Somehow, I went right from the long string to 7" - 8" brace. (OOPS!  :laugh:). Got my measurement wrong on first brace, as well as underestimating the low stretch of this linen I got right now.  ;D Didn't affect it too bad. I have some set I probably wouldn't have had so much of, but I'm happy. Set is 1 3/4" on the top limb, 1 1/2" on the bottom so far. It is pulling maybe 55# - 60# at 27" - 28", but I haven't measured yet. I think I am going to sinew this one, but I could leave it a selfbow if I wanted at this point. I tryed some diamond nocks on this one. Also, I made the limbs a bit wider, maybe 2" or so at the fade's to 1 1/8" or so where the string meets the non-working recurve. Anyway, this is my second contact recurve from a stave ever. Ever since Mikekeswick posted his osage recurve re-work thread, (this one: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29960.msg396474.html#msg396474), I haven't been able to get that bow out of my mind! lol So hopefully when I get me a couple of my own sinew backed recurves I will be able to sleep at night.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Pics:

Do yall use rattail files to do the groove on the belly for the string? I have not had the best luck. I can't do none on this one as the alignment is not perfect, had to do some tweaking once again just a bit as when I steamed the recurves in I did one a bit crooked, so the string is not in the middle exactly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:34:32 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline dwardo

Re: Hackberry Recurve #2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:23 am »
Nice bow! :)
I use a little coping saw first to get the lines then i use a little chainsaw rat tail file.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:18 am »
Looks good,I use a 5/32 chain saw file,I never cut across the back,can't tell for sure but looks like you did, [not sure] that always worries me unless I am using over lays. :)Good looking bow ,should be a sweet shooter. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »
Nice bow! :)
I use a little coping saw first to get the lines then i use a little chainsaw rat tail file.

Thank ya Dwardo. I tried to use a little rat tail file on the last one, but I kept messing up. I guess I just need practice.

Looks good,I use a 5/32 chain saw file,I never cut across the back,can't tell for sure but looks like you did, [not sure] that always worries me unless I am using over lays. :)Good looking bow ,should be a sweet shooter. :) :)
   Pappy

I guess a rat tail file was probably the obvious answer,  :laugh:, but ya never know. Thank ya though. This bow was weird.  Both limbs started out even and matching each other, but as I tillered it out one was significantly weaker than the other. Both limbs are perfectly clean with no knots or twist or anything. I don't know if one limb was drier than the other or what. The wood was cut last spring and has been drying as a roughed out bow, only about an inch thick if that, since around then. Oh, and I didn't cut threw the back anywhere. I think you might be mistaking my white string in the nock picture for white wood?,  :laugh:.

EDIT: I really wanna sinew this guy, but it is already around 55# - 60# or so @ 28" (guessing). So I guess I will only do one layer.... Or maybe two. I just know I'm gonna end up with a 80# pound bow in a year or so after the sinew is fully cured though!... and I don't want that. I have a sinew backed bow, it was only one layer of sinew, so I only waited 2 weeks or so in the hot summer to tiller it out. Came in at around 60# or so at 26", and stayed around there all summer. A year later I tried to brace it, and it almost didn't even happen. I know sinew has to get worked in after a while, or in the winter when it's dry, but I swear this bow has got to pull close to 90# or so at 26". So now it just sits up on my rack now, and thats all it does.  :laugh: I found a place that sells backstrap sinew as dog chews, they say it is 10" - 13" long. So I am thinking, if these work, I might just do one thin layer.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:47:11 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:57 pm »
Very nice Knots!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »
 "I think I am going to sinew this one," [/quote]
just remember that sinew will dry and make the recurve more extreme
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Hackberry Recurve #2 Update, couple more pics plus shooting video...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »
I have been fighting a bit with this one too, not too much though. It can't decide which limb it wants to be the bottom, even after putting on two leather handles, and I still have to take it off and try it again. I am thinking of just saying screw the handle and arrow pass on this one. Here's some pics I wanted to get up before I take the stupid handle off.

Not to mention I got to get rid of the bowyers mark I burned into it if I flip the limbs again. Heres a video of it shooting;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR8q7baqSaU&feature=youtu.be

...there were some people next door fighting with each other at the same time that my wife was filmin me shoot it in case you hear people yellin in the background... Hopefully in a couple weeks we will get approved for a nice no money down mortgage and get the heck outta here!  :)

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:16:22 pm »
nice job toomany.looks like it slings an arrow.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:40:17 pm »
look's good, look's like it shoots smooth also, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »
Awesome bow, what type of shooting style do you use, I've never seen it before
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:55 pm »
Awesome bow, what type of shooting style do you use, I've never seen it before

Haha, it's called "my bottom limb is too weak" style, LOL.  :laugh: If the bow was balanced like it should be, I would draw usually across my chest, maybe a little higher, but not near as high as I am drawing here. I should of pointed that out, good catch!

nice job toomany.looks like it slings an arrow.

Thank ya steve, I doubt it shoots even close to as good as that sinew backed osage you made recently. I should of sinewed this guy.

look's good, look's like it shoots smooth also, Bub

Thank ya Bub.

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »
hey Daniel,do you have anymore hackberry that you want to part with?if you do,let me know.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:20:30 pm »
hey Daniel,do you have anymore hackberry that you want to part with?if you do,let me know.

I'm actually almost out. I need to cut some more this spring/summer. Can't wait for that sap to start runnin...  >:D

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:58:53 pm »
let me know when you are going to cut some.i am very willing to help and i have a truck to haul it.i have taking a liking to it aswell.let me know brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 12:13:57 am »
let me know when you are going to cut some.i am very willing to help and i have a truck to haul it.i have taking a liking to it aswell.let me know brother.

PM sent. (... >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D)