Author Topic: help identifying trees?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline OlympicPeninsula

help identifying trees?
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »
i was walking through an area full of alders and saw the differnt bark on this tree... what is it?

also  i live in western washington.. where can i find black locust and how do i identify it?

Offline HickoryBill

Re: help identifying trees?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:25:48 pm »
Wow that pic really screws with my eyes!!! I can't concentrate on it!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:51 pm »
Black locust is thorny on the twigs,it will have zillions of flat seed pods on it right now.They are 2 or 3 inches long and dry.All the leaves should be off right now and easy to see the pods. 
  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline OlympicPeninsula

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:34:05 pm »
Black locust is thorny on the twigs,it will have zillions of flat seed pods on it right now.They are 2 or 3 inches long and dry.All the leaves should be off right now and easy to see the pods. 
  '  Frank
ok thanks..still wondering if anyone can identify the pic of the tree i posted :D

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »
Another identifier besides the pods and thorny twigs is that black locust will be covered in white flowers in early spring.  I live in eastern PA so that and up being April/May and makes them easy to spot in the hedgerows between farms out here. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »
It is very difficult to ID a tree just from one pic of the bark. The bark of trees changes as the tree matures. Better ID materials woulf be twigs, branching and the overall shape of the tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:30 am »
OP, that looks like a big leaf maple. the bark starts to get those furrows in it as it gets bigger. Black locust is everywhere over here and as Strong bow said it has what looks like pea pods hanging from the branches. I am 30miles ne of Seattle. How I learned to identify trees here is to read a lot of tree i.d. books and look them up online  then in summer when they have leafs and are blooming you can tell what they are. then in the winter you dont need the leafs or blooms.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:40:16 am »
Yep, Bigleaf. You will not find Locust in the woods, it is not native here. There is some around the towns, but good luck with that. You need to get a good field guide for western Wa. there are tons of usable woods...Yew, Cascara, Vinemaple, Ocean spray, Ash, Hawthorn, Bigleaf maple, Dogwood, (pacific flowering) Plum. ect.....

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline OlympicPeninsula

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »
Yep, Bigleaf. You will not find Locust in the woods, it is not native here. There is some around the towns, but good luck with that. You need to get a good field guide for western Wa. there are tons of usable woods...Yew, Cascara, Vinemaple, Ocean spray, Ash, Hawthorn, Bigleaf maple, Dogwood, (pacific flowering) Plum. ect.....

Brian
i have been using vinemaple so far because it is really easy to find.  i've seen cascara but didn't know it would be of any use. i think i would have to look in high elevation for yew,yes? and where can i find ash?? i hear it makes great bows and arrows too

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:36:42 pm »
Cascara is supposed to be an excellent bow wood, I've some drying at the moment and will find out about this in about a month. Most of the ash I've seen is at lower elevations close to the rivers.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:23 pm »
Burnish that Cascara well, or back it with silk your first time.. :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline randman

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 02:19:24 am »
Here are some examples of 100 year old Black locust trees (and 1 young one) in a Seattle park. If you want to find BL on the peninsula, don't look in the forest, look in populated areas (peoples yards, city parks). Lots of it in Eastern WA where farmers planted it for windbreaks and such because it grows tall very fast and is really dryland tolerant.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:29 am »
Burnish that Cascara well, or back it with silk your first time.. :laugh:
I've got a couple of ties from the early 60s that should work just fine for that.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:43 am »
  I don't know if you have elm but slippy elm around here has simular bark.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:34 pm »
this is the best book i have found for pnw tree id.
and it has lots of other plants as well.
might pick up a copy. you can usually find em used and relatively cheap
http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Pacific-Northwest-Coast-Washington/dp/1551055309/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330440505&sr=1-1
wild women don't get the blues