Author Topic: kentucky coffee users.....?  (Read 982 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

kentucky coffee users.....?
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »
I have a nice piece of Kentucky Coffee (2 pieces actually),  but it is short.  61" long overall.... so not too short.  my questions is  what are the properties of this wood.  The grain stands out like osage and peels nice like it too.  it seems quite dense and not real stringy like whitewoods.  but anyways.    how is it in compression vs tension.   what would it be similar too.  Just need to know If I need to worry about crystals or frets like fruit woods and such.    or it is good in compression how about tension?  should I back it in sinew since its so short......   I had to blow it up..lol  but i really want it unbacked, stiff handled  and high 50s or 60s at my 25" draw      suggestions?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Re: kentucky coffee users.....?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:27:34 pm »
got a little info on it, not many have used it I guess. Not as common I suppose....ive never seen a kent coff. tree..lol   Nothin to do but give it a try..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Barrage

Travis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »
thanks thats just what i was looking for.  really nice bow Timo made there.  I shouldnt have a problem with 61" long and a 25" draw.....  if it breaks I will sinew the next one..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:08 pm »
good luck Ryan.i was going to point you to that thread,but they beat me to it.with your skills you should be fine.can't wait to see it,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:14 pm »
Not as nice as Timos but it was kind to me for my second bow build and still shootin :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28182.0.html
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)