Author Topic: anyone have a dry yew stave 60-66" long?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

anyone have a dry yew stave 60-66" long?
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:28 pm »
I am looking for a dry yew stave 60-66" long. character is welcome. If it was perfect it wouldnt be any fun.  I opted to buy one from the "one" dealer that pops up and I got a rather snooty response telling me I needed a premium 80" war bow stave in order to make a good bow and obviously I didnt know anything about yew bows and didnt want to work with me on showing me pics or specific sizes for smaller staves but still wanted me to send him $100 + $35 shipping.. for one without even seeing it..i dont think so......... and another person on a different site wouldnt let any go to me at all because "he didnt want to send any yew wood to a wood hacking, aspiring bower"  so all the sudden I guess I dont know how to build bows...

so anyways I want just one yew stave, so i can say I have a yew bow.....but man I can't stand these persnickety yew stave guys that seem to think they are bow gods...which btw I would put one of my osage bows up against any day of the week....  sorry to rant...but these folks are aggravating me.     anyone got a dry piece they would let go without giving me a speech about english royalty..blah blah blah..?    lol                      ok seriously tho, anyone got any?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Ifrit617

Re: anyone have a dry yew stave 60-66" long?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »
HAHaHAHA... That just made my day...  ;D ;D Sorry i don't have any but I sure wouldnt buy any from people like that either... Good luck getting your hands on some.

Jon
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:34:01 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:00:42 pm »
Nativenoobowyer86 was able to order himself some pretty decent yew....  i would pm him and ask him where he got his.
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »
Twisted, I've seen your bows and I know your abilities. I think I can help you out Bro, PM sent

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:09 pm »
people are pretty stinggy when it comes to yew. if i had some that i didnt have plans for i would trade yah for some osage or something. ive never made an osage bow.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »
Ryan I read a simialr story a few months ago regarding an osage dealer. I think mean people suck no matter what they are selling! Sounds like Keenan is going to hook you right up.  Good luck with your build............rookie....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »
Hey, Twisted

I think I know who you're talking about. I've also purchased a yew stave from Dave Robertson at Medicine Bow Woods, and he is an arrogant jerk. He treated me very poorly as well, calling me an idiot, and suggested I should go elsewhere. I will. I'm not sure how he's still in business.
I've made several short yew bows and recurves, so don't worry, you're on the right track. Yew doesn't need to be made into ELBs.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »
That pissed me off. I will make sure I never buy from him now. You can get alot better prices on ebay too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »
medicine bow woods is burquilt on ebay!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:31:31 pm »
Yup, back when I got bite with the "Gotta try a Yew" bug I contacted the same guy...sounds like some things don't get better with age  >:D

If any of you guys know a good source for purchasing some Yew I'd also love to hear about it.  The stuff I just started to work is not dry enough so I had to put it up for another year.

Cheers!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:13 pm »
i got a stave from dave once. HAD A CHECK HALF WAY DOWN THE STAVE. believe it or not i was furious. i called him up. he called me a liar. curse words, then i hung up.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:36:13 pm »
Wow, Dave sure has pissed some people off... I use to cut wood for him, but that was yrs ago. I have yew but in board form. I have staves, but peoples expectations can be more sometimes than a guy can provide..... :-\ Most yew is NOT perfect, and it is very difficult to get a permit. (wondering how he comes up with so much myself) Getting yew is not a process of asking a property owner for permission....you have to deal with the state...not easy. I have cut tons of mid-to-low elevation yew on private property, not a lot in the way of high elevation....but I know where its at. :laugh:  For those that where on another thread trailer parks DON'T give permission to cut yewregardless of what Dave says...I call BS.

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:13:06 am »
Twistedlimbs I just had a split stave given to me. It's been in a barn 4-5 years when I got it home I split it in two. I have an imediate use for one. The other has a small crook in the middle would probably need heated to put the tips in line. Still has alot of wood to work with 3- 3.5" wide guessing could be more and maybe 65" long. I built one other bow from P.Y. fast wood very responsive, but not the holy grail of bows, just my opinion. I would be interested in trading if Keenan hasn't already overfilled your desire. If your interested let me know I will give you some accurate measurements and discriptions. Give me a day or two because I'm not the best at checking my messages.  ;D
Hugh.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »
YUP YOU ALL HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive