Author Topic: new video of me shooting  (Read 9388 times)

Offline adb

Re: new video of me shooting
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
You're a long way off from full warbow draw, which I would consider 30" being a minimum.  Judging by your height, I'd say you're getting about 26-27" of draw. As Ian has suggested, why not draw a lighter weight bow with proper form? If your bow truly is 150#, then shooting it with full draw would place you in very select company.

How long are your arrows? It looks to me like you have at least 6" of arrow out past the back of your bow at full draw. Arrow length is how I judge my draw. These arrows are 31" from the nock to the base of the head, so I'm getting about a 30" draw. In the future, maybe use your arrow length as a guide.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:56:03 pm by adb »

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 01:32:57 am »
the arrows are about 35 to the tip of the head, i was drawing them about 29 inches, and just as an update, i tried what ian said, and i got to full draw, and all  can say is wow, it doubled the penetration on my target, i would have taken a video, but it was dark by then
thanks for looking
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ian.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:54 am »
Also look at other archers a similar body shape and learn from how they draw. Short stocky people draw one way tall lankey people draw another.

I used to get a bare shaft and put a cable tie at 32" so you know exactly when you hit it.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »
Noel,

I'm wondering why you'd have 35" arrows?? Are you making bows with a 35" draw length??

I'd suggest you cut your arrows off to 32" and then work up to drawing them to the head. 35" arrows will also be unnecessarily heavy and unbalanced. With a 35"arrow, it's hard to tell how far you're actually drawing your bow. Measure your arrow shaft length to the BASE of the head, not the tip of the head.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 02:51:44 pm »
ian, i think ill try that, and abd from my experience longer arrows have had better flight characteristics, also, at heavier weights i want sure of what my full draw length was, as with a lighter bow, i could draw to 37 inches, so this way i have room tro grow, it also comes in handy if like my, you have braken of the tips a few times on unseen rocks and have to reatach  a point
thanks for the tips
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »
Noel, it looked to me that your bottom limb was doing most of the work. The top limb hardly bending at all. It is hard to see while you are in motion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:02 pm »
pat, i just took a clearer picture, and you are right, a little to much bend in the bottom, thanks for catching that

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:44 pm »
ok, i used my bathroom scale to get an idea of the weight and after re tillering, its about 140@32i couldn't get the best reading, as it was an old bathroom scale, and i only got it down to about 18 inches, but from the pattern i saw, that's about the weight
( i just actually did it out using a graphing program with more data points i got, and it came out to be more like 150ish, give or take a few pounds) i really need a proper scale :-[
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:01:03 pm by fishfinder401 »

Offline Ian.

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »
Noel, I say this, and I don't want to cause any offence as you seem like a nice chap; but I very much doubt that you are pulling anything even near that weight. I don't want to knock your enthusiasm because I was exactly the same when I was your age. You have your whole life ahead of you, don't think that you need to impresses us with large numbers. Better to do a little well, than a great deal badly.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:18 pm »
one thing that might make this a little more believable, is i did measure the length i am drawing, and it is only about 29ish, which according to the data i found would be about 130, so i am not yet drawing the full 150, and i agree this is a little abnormal for my age, but from what i understand, i am the strongest person in my class and have been as long as i can remember, and in 8th grade, i was able to bench 250lbs( i truly don't mean this as a type of bragging, im just giving the facts i have to help you get a better understanding of me) but one thing i have to admit, is am currently hitting a wall at the 29, 29.5 inch mark, and it feels like it will take a while to overcome that wall, im not planning on being able to master this bow for at least a year, i also have a few slightly lighter bows in the planning stages i will use to help train with. don't worry, i don't take offence to what you are saying, as i agree, without witnessing me do it, thi is a little hard to believe, i hope someday to be able shoot with you and show you that what i am saying is true. one other thing, i looked at different people shooting on youtube, and i see what you mean about different body types drawing it back differently so i tried both, and i did seem to favor one more than the other, my troubles came from the last two inches where you finish locking your arm back( if that makes sense)
thanks for the tips
noel

Offline RyanY

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 01:10:00 am »
I agree with Ian and adb about both form and your arrows although I can't say I'm very experienced myself. I don't doubt that you can draw the weight you claim but the video definitely gives some doubt because of short drawing and such. When I was consistently working on it I was able to get to 142@32" just a couple times before I couldn't muster up the strength and it sounds like you're stronger than I am. As has already been suggested, work on good form with a lighter bow before using bad form with a heavy one. I have no doubt you'll be drawing the heaviest of bows one day.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 01:34:01 am »
thanks, and im not sure if i mentioned it, but that was after i had been shooting a while( probably over an hour) and wanted to try to see what distance i get and thought it would be a good  video, and a good opportunity to finalize my tiller with others opinions, and gain pointers on technique, and with the arrows, i am actually most likely going to be re doing them with different tips, as these are a like small in diameter for the shafts and resulting i have lost a few( the soil near me has lots of small flat rocks in it, so its easy to break a tip if it hits right), so now that i can make them im planning on making some more suiting for the shafts
 as far as using lighter bows for form, i regularly shoot a 70lb ash, and once i get some 80inch hickory or bamboo, im planning 2 backed ipe bows
 and thanks for the confidence and optimism, im actually hoping after MANY years of training to attempt a new warbow poundage record, but this is wont be for MANY years
thanks
noel

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:21 am »
To get a weight of 150 lb bow should be at least 1 1/2 "and 1 1/4" in center and at least 78 "long. Your data center bow showed near 110-120lb.
could with a heat treatment but still ..
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:39 am »
Well a 78 inch bow of 110lb would be around 145 - 150 at 73 inches long.....
A 1% change in length will raise draw-weight by around 5%.

Offline adb

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:37 am »
I don't think you could get a 150# bow at 73". I certainly wouldn't try.