Author Topic: HHB sapling questions  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Matt A

HHB sapling questions
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
I have a 64" fully dried HHB sapling that has been split already 2" wide in the middle and it has a twist in one end. any suggestions for dimensions to make this thing? and if it's safe to heat the piece to untwist without ruining that red paper bark layer?

Offline Dictionary

Re: HHB sapling questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:24:01 pm »
these guys could probably chime in if you gave your preferred draw weight and draw length and whether or not you want a stiff handle or working one.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Matt A

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:36 am »
well, i shoot a 50# browning recurve now. but it wouldn't bother me a bit to go up to about 60 if the stave and my skills will allow. handle i have no preference, think it would be neat to try a working handle.  ;D

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:52 am »
It's your drawlength that really matters. I think you would have to do a bendy handle design with that length,unless you have already made a few bows. I would rough the width out to around 1 7/8, keeping it parallel to 10 inches from the tips then taper down to 3/8ths wide at the nocks. This is wider than hhb needs but will give you room to work with later on.

Offline Matt A

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:45 pm »
HHB is a white wood correct so i can use the bandsaw? or do i have to follow grain like osage?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »
The wood roght under the bark is your back.
 With any stave bow, whitewood or osage, you still have to follow a ring for the back.
  If you are talkling about cutting out the shape of the bow(back profile) you can use a bandsaw on any wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:51:35 am »
ok awsome!  >:D I always thought woods like osage, HHB, and elm you had to follow the grain lines until you started narrowing otherwise where the grain ran off a bit that part would tend to lift a bit???

Offline Matt A

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:48 am »
also could i use my heat gun and olive oil to straighten this thing without wrecking the red paper? one half has a slight twist.