Author Topic: "?" about cleaning sinew...  (Read 2008 times)

Offline toomanyknots

"?" about cleaning sinew...
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »
I have been pretty happy for the most part with my source of sinew. The only thing is, they are actually being marketed as dog chews. I believe, don't know for sure, but I believe they are flavored somehow, even though the package says no basting or smoking, etc etc. I was wondering if I cleaned them somehow before breaking them out, if maybe I could get rid of whatever they may or may not of been flavored with. Washing them in hot water and soap doesn't do the trick so far. Would soaking them in something overnight maybe help? I have recently read someone saying them soak rawhide in washing soda to degrease, would this maybe help? They do have alot of fat usually left on them and are not cleaned very good, I was wondering if the fat going rancid could make them smell... ???

EDIT: I should of said, that this stuff smells like a dog treat smells I guess. All the sinew I have got fresh and dried myself has never stunk, but I clean them good of fat and flesh before they dry, so I was thinking it was either flavored or the fat going rancid making them stink...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:04:24 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "?" about cleaning sinew...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »
I wash sinew(already shreaded) in warm water and Dawn(original) Dish soap. It is the best degreaser I know of that is not harmful to you. I even prep my bow to be sinewed with Dawn and rinse it with boiling water.
  I think the grease is throughout the sinew so just washing the unprepped sinew only degreases the outside. I degrease as I prep the sinew for use so it is hydrated when I glue it down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »
Man, you know what they stuff is good for too, is poison ivy. My neighbor kept buggin me about some poison ivy vine in my yard the other year ago or somethin like that, until I finally got tired of hearin her and went out there with nothing but some shorts on and pulled the whole vine up by the roots, with my just by bare hands. I had that stuff all over every single inch of me. My old lady wouldn't be in the same room with me for 2 weeks. Man I felt stupid. The only thing to keep my from inching was using dawn dishsoap. It dried my skin so much I felt like a lizard.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:39:47 pm »
Dawn is used for oil clean ups and to de-oil water birds and other animals involved in oil spills.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:15 am »
Ok TooMany, I am compelled to ask you which dog treats you use, so I can go see if the TSC or some such around here has them.