Author Topic: question about a bow design i have in mind  (Read 2762 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

question about a bow design i have in mind
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:53:18 am »
Alright I wad thinking about building a bow based on a takedown bow design except permanently fixing the limbs to the riser via glue. The wood I'm using is ERC for the riser and maybe white oak or white pine for the limbs and adding more ERC for the tips. I'm looking for a 50-55lb. draw at 32 in. My question is would this be feasible and if so any suggestions or advice?
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Weylin

Re: question about a bow design i have in mind
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:11:48 am »
I'm having a little trouble picturing what you are describing. So it wont really be a take down because the limbs are fixed? Are you intending to splice the limbs together and glue on a riser? or were you picturing it to be like a 3 piece take down where each limb is attached only at each end of the riser. If that's the case, you'll need more than glue to hold it. I wouldn't recommend pine for the limbs unless you have nothing else to work with. Oak can be a good bow wood, what do you have access to? boards, staves?

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:22:01 am »
I drew the design that I had in mind so here is the picture of that. I can't really afford the necessary tools and items to make an actual takedown bow. I have 3 kids and live on a fixed income as a disabled vet. So I've been used hand tools such as a draw knife a couple of rasps and files and sandpaper to do all the work. I have access to staves to work with as I find my wood in the woods looking for felled trees.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:00 am »
If glueing it isn't enough would wrapping it in sinew where the limbs are attached to the riser help? Maybe put a backing on the limbs as well?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »
Glueing wouldn't be enough to hold it together IMO but also the woods you have chosen aren't the best under good conditions. White oak limbs would be OK but not white pine and not ERC for the riser. Pulling any bow to 32" puts a lot of strain on the wood so I'd use the toughhest wood I could find for this project and use an adiquate connection system or method.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »
Thanks for the info and advice guys guess ill have to choose a different bow then. I don't really have access to any other wood besides ERC white oak and white pine. Guess maybe a Longbow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »
White pine makes good arrows but not bows.
  The White oak is a good bow wood as is ERC. A white oak backed ERC would be a good combo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »
Why not bolt it?
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:23 pm »
I don't have the tools to be able to put bolts on buckeye.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:52:15 pm »
Is your wood from a board or a tree? If this is your first bow I would do a simple one piece, self long bow from either the white oak or the ERC. I've never worked with either but from what I hear ERC makes a good bow but is pretty unforgiving of mistakes, maybe the white oak would be a better one to start with. Just my two cents. Have fun with it.  :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:04 pm »
If you can predrill it a little you can use hanger bolts that will screw  into the hole
Not much required for that !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:48:55 pm »
@weylin all of my wood are staves that I have seasoned over a year and I have made a couple of bows.

@buckeye Guy that's a pretty good idea I think ill try that and maybe Mae the riser out of white oak and the limbs out of ERC. I'm open to any ideas that anyone may have.