Author Topic: Twisted Laminated Glue-up - Fixable?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Twisted Laminated Glue-up - Fixable?
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:09:43 am »
I recently glued up a hick backed Osage bow in my form...not sure what happened but something slipped and the glue-up came out of the form with a fairly bad propellor twist. :'(
It was glued with Urac-185. It has not been cleaned up or cut to shape yet. Just a laminated straight stave basically.
Can I use heat and torque the bow back to straight? Or do I set it aside and glue-up another....being extra careful this time! ::)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:13:27 am by Easternarcher »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Twisted Laminated Glue-up - Fixable?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:34 am »
Dont knwo how good its going to work. URAC will take a bunch of heat before it lets go. This may sound stupid, but I wouldnt be beyond steaming it for 45 minutes either. Depending on the severity, what do you have to loose. URAC will handle a 30-45 minute steam.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Twisted Laminated Glue-up - Fixable?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:21:09 pm »
Glued in twists are hard to remove. Even with steam or dry heat the glue joint is still twisted. This is probably the only option.
  You might be able to tiller the twist out as you go towards full draw where being straight is most important.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC