Author Topic: Fixing a prop twist  (Read 3480 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Fixing a prop twist
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:24 pm »
I don't know where I read this and I do apologize for not giving proper credit. I'll straighten a twist if it is severe or if I'm in neat nick kind of mood and so this is how I do it. You just need a milk jug, a container with water, some twine, some grease and a heat gun. You'll also need a "monkey wrench". That's what Dad and others called adjustable wrenches back in the day. I added a page to my web site and I'll let you read the process there if you want. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/fixtwist.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Fixing a prop twist
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:06:41 am »
That's how I do it, Jawge! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16:36 am »
look's simple and effective, got one that need's that treatment right now, thank's jawge, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:19:26 am »
Wow! And here I thought staves with prop twist were useless. This will be a great help!

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:26 am »
Useless??!!!! they shoot fine even without correction!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:39 am »
JW, did you read it somewhere. I am trying to figure out where I saw it. Dag, it is a quick fix but I do let the wood hydrate for a few days. I generally don't worry about prop twist unless the twist is greater than 30 deg. Kind of depends on my mood but I've made bows that looked like they should have been on the front of an airplane. They are a bit easier to tiller if the twist is removed. You are welcome, Bub. Just add water little buy little and make sure the wood is hot to the touch. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30:05 am »
  George I did the same with green stave's. I cut my stave down fairly thin. Put between 2 saw horse's. I have home made type wench I made PIPE WITH A FORK ADDED. I put the pipe where needed and I don't use the water I ratchet strap mine down to the floor. Same as I add reflex.
  GOERGE I also wanted to ask you.
  I watch ancient aliens alot theres a GEORGE TSOUKALAS on it. His he your son or related.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:46:32 am »
No, he is not. Surprisingly, there are quite few of us. I'll have to see that. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:32 am »
Thanks George and the "mysery source" :)

Good information...
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »
  I know want you mean. I was once at the DMV switching tags and the lady punch me up. And there was 5 ROY STEELES in MARTINSBURG WV. As well as once I was in a DR. office and the lady said ROY STEELE and the guy in front of me stood up.
   Small world I can't tell you the # of times I be in hunting camp 100's miles from my home. Be fore the night was out someone there knew someone you did. On someone in your hometown.
  YEP SMALL WORLD
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 01:34:22 pm »
George,

Is that really enough weight to have a effect?? I know I had to really put my back into some twists to get them out. I like the concept though.... :)

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »
Thanks, Coaster. Brian, it has worked for me. A gallon of water weighs quite a bit. I've never even needed to fill it. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 04:40:32 pm »
George,

Is that really enough weight to have a effect?? I know I had to really put my back into some twists to get them out. I like the concept though.... :)

Brian

It's actually better to make the correction using LESS weight.  If you use sufficient weight you can undo the twist without any heat....but then it springs right back.  When you have enough heat to make the wood pliable it won't take more than a few lbs of weight on a 10-12 inch lever to make the correction.  And that is the correction that stays corrected. 

Jawge, I was doing this trick back when you needed to have a PA subscription number to access this forum.  I used a Jorgenson wood clamp and a 5 gallon bucket of sand on the floor.  I would tie a rope to the clamp handle, pass it thru the handle of the bucket, pull it back up and tie it again to the clamp  handle.  Somewhere along the line I realized 80 lbs of sand in a bucket was bloody overkill!  My next technique was to clamp the bow with the limb to be corrected hanging out over the bench.  Attach the same Jorgenson clamp with a short piece of rope and that selfsame 5 gallon bucket.  I'd drop a couple lead ingots in the bucket and start heating.  When the bucket started slowly dropping I would slow down the heating process until I had the amount of correction I wanted.  Shut off the heatgun and go get a cup of coffee. 

Call it convergent evolution.  After all, archeology shows that the bow showed up on different continents at about the same time.   >:D   

Then again, PatB was younger back then and I heard he got around a lot more when he was younger.  And we all know his penchant for teaching people to build bows.  MIght also explain the yeti/sasquatch legends that exist all over the planet!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.