Author Topic: vine maple crack  (Read 2447 times)

Offline OlympicPeninsula

vine maple crack
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:41:55 am »
so i have a vine maple bow pretty much shaped... only been drying about 10 days. ... one of the tips is naturally recurved and i decided to try to recurve to other to match ( the recurve is quite slight). i figured since it was green i could bend it easily  and it lifted a splinter on the belly about 3 inches from the nock..it only goes about 1/8th inch deep ... but since it is on the belly when the bow is bent it doesn't lift.. it compresses down.... i put wood glue in and clamped sanded etc.. is this going to be problematic, should i just throw it and start again or is it salvageable perhaps?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: vine maple crack
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:44:38 am »
As you bend the bow in draw, the crack is going to be forced together more than pulled apart.  The glue job may just save your bacon.  If you get really close to finished you may want to do a sinew or thread wrap where the tip of the splinter wanted to raise up. 

Keep going, learn or burn!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:50:55 am »
Thin Super glue works great for that kind of stuff. weep it into the crack and it will fill the smallest cracks by capillary action. repeated passes will suck into the crack. when it stops seeping into the crack and makes a mound, you can sand/file it off after it dries. You can also clamp or put pressure on it to close the crack untill the glue hardens and it will be good to go. probably stronger than the wood at that location.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:20:15 am »
Where ya at olympic?? I'm in Montesano..
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »
I have had similar cracks in VM, and they survived. As long as your glue job is good and especially if that part is non-bending, it should be fine. Let's see a pic.Make sure that puppy is dry before you start floor tillering it.  You and vinemaplebows are kinda new here- welcome! Are y'all considering going to the glass buttes knap in? (see thread in events section). I'm down in Ilwaco..
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »
I'd fill it up with superglue.

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »
Hey all you Washington guys, any events in our neck of the woods? I'm in Seattle.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »
I would imagine if its still near green then you will probably remove most of that area/splinter in tiller. Just keep it strapped down for now and you will hopefuly cut it off later.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »
I'd wait till the wood is dry.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:26 pm »
I have been thinking of holding a get together this summer...not sure who is game, but but got plenty of room, and weyerhauser is my back yard...

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:11 am »
Just say when Viney, I'm game! Sounds like a good time to pick up new materials (as if I need any more wood LOL). Weyerhauser don't have a need for all that vine maple anyway.

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:29 pm »
randman- about upcomming events- there's the glass buttes knap in mentioned above, the north umpqua knap in, there's one at millersylvania state park, and there's the group called PSK puget sound knappers. theres also the central oregon bowyers gathering, and "echoes in time" . should be able to find past posts on this site... hope to see you there
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »
Let the wood dry. Superglue the crack and clamp it. You'll be fine.
Gordon