Author Topic: this knot is giving me fits . . .  (Read 1976 times)

Offline k-hat

this knot is giving me fits . . .
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:00 pm »
Working on  my TG tradebow and tryna get this final ring worked down.  It has a knot right down the middle that i'm tryna work down without compromising the back.  Seriously testing my patience!  These layers don't pop off like they do on osage  >:(
This is my second stave and the first knot i've taken seriously since I'm trying to keep this unbacked.  I still have a ways to go to finish the knot, but wanna make sure i'm on the right track and see if there are any tricks i don't know. . .

Is it violated, or am i still in good shape?

This is from the belly side, either the same knot or one close by that hasn't reared it's ugly head

Sorry for the poor picture quality.  Still too poor to get a good camera ::)

Any input would be awesome.
Thanks!

Offline Eric Garza

Re: this knot is giving me fits . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:45:28 pm »
You haven't violated the ring around the knot. I'm sure it will be fine. If anything, I'd take off at least a few more rings and at most leave one or two extra rings over the knot. What type of wood is this?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »
Thanks Eric, the way that peak is it was hard for me to tell.  It's hackberry i cut almost a year ago.  the outter 3/4" was porous as all get-out, hence chasing the ring.  It was pretty easy going till i really got after this knot!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:22 pm »
Back looks fine to me.
On the belly I'd pick at it with a needle file or some such to see if it is really sound. If there is any rot drill it out to good sound wood and plug it with a plug of the same wood, glued in with epoxy.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:50 pm »
I'd take all the islands from around the knot on the back. If one popped off at full draw it could be disasterous. Do one at a time. Come in under it, all the way around and try to pop it off. Then down to the next and so on...or simply scrape each one off.
  Also take a pencil and trace around each one. If you accidently scrape the pencil mark off put it back until you get each island off. The pencil marks will help you keep track of which island you are on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »
I agree with Pat. No islands for me either. I put knots on the same ring the rest of the back is on.  Del's idea of cleaning the belly side knot and filling it with glue is also what I would do with it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 01:26:56 am »
Thanks Pat, Pearl, Del.  Wanted to make sure i was on the right track.  I was working another knot that i wound up being able to remove completely, and tried to pop those islands off (like i did with stoneberg on an osage stave I started with him), but these guys don't wanna pop off, just kinda splinter and laugh at me ::)

Anyhow, i'll tackle that knot again in the morn, hopefully with newfound patience and gusto.  it was going so slow it was just wearing me out :o

Thanks again for your input for the "green" stave guy ;)