Author Topic: red elm backing  (Read 1706 times)

Offline jturner

red elm backing
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »
ive used white elm but never red elm for backing, anyone used it? how does it work for backing osage?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: red elm backing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:24 pm »
Is your Osage milled/slat or is it a stave?  If a stave I honestly wouldn't back any Osage with anything other than Sinew or Rawhide...not really needed for the most part if your bow design is good.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline jturner

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »
its milled lumber, 68 inches, ive got bamboo hickory and elm backing strips, but i like the looks of the red elm and would like to use it if its a good backing, white elm is my favorite backing how does red compare?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:59 pm »
Sorry, haven't worked with Elm yet...maybe some of the others will chime in.  (I have some staves drying but they are Slippery Elm and Wyche Elm)

I'd pick the Boo or Hick, probably the boo as Osage and boo is a wicked combo.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »
I've never used elm as a backing..If you have enough do a elm backed elm R/D pyramid bow...68 tip to tip ..As for the Osage, use the bamboo. It's the best ever all wood bow combo...My go to bow so far this year is BBO...so far
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline jturner

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »
bamboo seems like overkill on a 68 inch 35 lb bow. i just like tryin different options, seein what works wonderin if anyone has tried it. i think the color combo will be great osage core cherry handle,

Jake Turner     Michigan