Author Topic: osage orage seed and seedling advice  (Read 5498 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: osage orage seed and seedling advice
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:46:30 pm »
george, if i cant find any seeds i might take you up on the offer for the hedge apple fruit, do you ave to dry the seeds before planting?

To be honest Noel, I was able to get free seedlings from the state when I wanted to plant osage up in Nebraska. I've never planted them from seed.

I'll get some of the fruit and see if I can extract the seeds for you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:37:09 pm »
Ok,

Just ordered a bunch of osage and black walnut seedlings from the site listed.  Will let y'all know if they show up.  One wrinkle in ordering was that I had to list a county in Missiouri that I would plant the seedlings in...no way to say Kershaw in SC!...we'll see...

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »
Noel;

PM Chris Cade in S.C. I think he still has some in pots at his cousins Nursery. That's where I got mine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:36 am »
You might have a look at this site for S.C.

http://www.state.sc.us/forest/nur.htm

Here is some info for Texas, along with links to Lousiana and Oklahoma.

http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=9562

Note that Indian Mound Nursery was the contact for East Texas but they now say to use the West Texas Nursery in its place.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »
I was out scouting a farm for potential hog hunting this weekend.  It was flat littered with osage.  in fact, osage saplings were coming up all over the place to try and flatten your tires the way mesquite does out west.  I brought home a few very ripe hedge apples.

Now I have to figure out how to get the seeds extracted.  Saw some good hog sign, and ducks a-plenty too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:58 pm »
Hi,

Ok...ordered the Osage and Black Walnut seedlings from the Missiouri site listed on page one of this post...cost me very little for 25 osage seedlings and 25 black walnut seedlings.  I got them a couple of days ago and planted them today...well all the osage and most of the BW...got a few more of them to do tomorrow.  Some of osages were 4 feet tall fm the root...most from 18 inches to 24 inches.  The BW's were mostly 12 inches to 16 inches from the root.  If you want to plant some trees this seems the easy way to go.  SC has trees to order to but didn't have any osages. 

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 10:25:20 pm »
George;
 Soak them in a bucket of water till they make a slurry. Then, dig a long trench and pour them in to plant or just dry them out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »
Its hard to believe people have to order hedge. My yard is litterd with hedge and black walnut. Makes it a pain everytime I mow. The squirels like both.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:11 pm »
  I do like mullet but after they get two or three years old. I replant the seedling in sumac thickets. Makeing my holes by diging and adding good dirt. And fertize every year or so.Where they have to fight for sunlight this makes them grow fast, straight up trying to reach the sunlight.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING