Author Topic: How much sinew for a backing  (Read 8724 times)

Offline jcrich01

How much sinew for a backing
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:10 am »
I am yet to make a backed bow.  I think I am going to try an eastern red cedar bow backed with sinew.  My question to the forum is how much sinew on average does it take to make a good backing on say a 66" bow?  Also about how much for a sinew bow string for say a 50# bow?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: How much sinew for a backing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:33 am »
I like to do 2-3 layers. I've done 5......waaay overkill lol
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:38:00 am »
IMO no more than one light layer on a bow that long if you are set on doing it. If your bow gets too long the added weight of glue and sinew out weighs the benefits of adding it. A longer bow with a troublesome back would be better suited with a rawhide backing. If you want to add sinew for performance reasons only, I suggets a 58-62" tip to tip bow with 2-3 layers as Bryce suggested..
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45:45 am »
What Pearlie said!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:47:06 am »
 I use to add 2 to 3 layers let them dry a couple weeks between layers. I let mine dry a month after I'm done. I'm sure people will saw well I shot mine a week later. You've went though all the trouble to get this far dn't rush now. Plus your bow won't mine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »
Let me play devils advocate because a draw length has not been stated. If you plan on pulling it out past 30-32",then sinew on a 66" bow is fine. Soooo...how far do you plan to pull it

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »
 Your good at it pot stirrer!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:09 pm »
Ya know...sinew on a 66"ttt with a 28" draw is fine too pending on your design...details man...the more specifics you give the better help you'll get

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:18 pm »
Ok, so I had the same question, cause I too have an erc bow asking for some sinew. Correct me if I'm wrong but, has the question been answered? How much sinew does it take to put 2-3 layers on?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »
I used 4 1/2 back sinews to put two layers on my 60" ttt trade bow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:21 pm »
The next time I sinew back a bow, I'm going to weigh how much I use so I can get a good idea of what it takes.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »
yeah all my bows are short.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline jcrich01

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
Thanks for the responses.   So I guess I am asking more in general about sinew amounts not just this particular bow design.  How much sinew is "a layer"?  How many leg tendons would it take to get this amount of sinew.  How much would this much sinew weigh?  How much would it take to make a bow string for a 50lb mid 60" bow.
Thanks   

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:43:00 pm »
It's hard to come up with an exact amount.  It always takes me more than I think it will take.  Make sure you have plenty.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:34 pm »
I think I know where Jcrich is coming from.  If you were going purchase or gather enough supplies to back a bow how much is enough.  In other words would six white tail deer leg tendons make two layers, or one, three or not even one?  I would be interested in the answer to that.  Knowing how many layers for the length is good information and I am glad this thread went there.  Just looking for a bit more. 

I had a similar question about sinew string and found that it takes about one to one and half WT deer back strap tendons to make a sinew bowstring about 48" long.  Of course the size of the deer matters and will make the number fluctuate.  However, 2 back strap tendons should be enough.