Author Topic: Red Elm?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Red Elm?
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:49 am »
How would red elm work for a self bow, or either a backed bow?

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Red Elm?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:13 am »
Red elm is great bow wood. Treat it like hickory and you should be fine. Sometimes I've found with red elm that the sapwood can get a little iffy so I backed them with rawhide or silk.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:10 am »
SS, I've used a lot of slippery elm (red) and give it the highest marks. Mostly what I build are bend-through bows, short and in the 50/55 weight range....these self bows will consistantly draw more than half their length, have good recovery speed....well ya get the idea, it's very good stuff.

One more thing if you like the curvy types the elm will steam-bend very nicely.
rich

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:20:03 am »
i recommend it as well....like rich said it can draw back far and take some abuse unbacked. last week i made a 64" bow from it drawing 67@32",and the bow has retained reflex still,which means its gross draw(total limb movement) is a couple inches past half its length. if it can take that im sure it can take anything you have in mind ;)   it likes to be heat treated as well

heres a link to it if ya missed it

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30846.0.html

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:57 am »
  Here in WV we also call red elm slippy elm. I made quite a few bows out of elm. Matter fact I just made one that I tilled to 29 inchs. Only 50 pounds but I through I end up with a least over a inch. I'd never tillered a elm to that lenth. It's has none on the top limb and may be a inch on the bottom. Staves I had 2 inchs of reflex to while green. I'll uselly have a little reflex left when finished. I'd put ELM right behind HICKORY.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
Most of the elms will all be good bow wood.  If you were to be sent naked into the the woods and told you could only pick one type of tree to make a bow from, the elm family would be a good bet.