Author Topic: Native american bows?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline 15DLongbow

• I pretend to know what I'm doing.
Native american bows?
« on: February 23, 2012, 03:31:33 am »
It seems that most of the bows i find when researching native american bows i always can find stuff that is about the plains native americans, but i was wondering more about the natives who resided in New england and more specifically the Ct/MA/NY areas. lol i cant seem to find any information regarding the type of bows they used..

Offline Tortoise

Re: Native american bows?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:31 am »
I suggest finding a specific tribe from the New England states such as the Iroquois or Wampanoag tribes and doing some research, I'll bet you will find stuff about their bows.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:48:51 am »
I tried that with some of the local tribes here in CT...google is not helping me at all but ill keep digging through pages.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:18 am »
This is where Halfeye comes in. Rich can not only tell you the basic styles for the region, but has probably made several of them.  Jim Hamm's encyclopedia of Native American  bows, arrows, &quivers  volume one is a good starting place.  Here is a Lenape (Delaware)  that I made last month.  Josh

Offline 15DLongbow

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:10 am »
Ok cause im interested in making one down the road, and im told i have some native american in me, i just cant remember the specific tribe right now, so it'd be a cool thing to do it think...

But then again if i take that approach i'd also have to do a ELB cause im part english... ;D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:02:05 am »
Some of the museums are also a good resource for finding native crafts.  Here are some I have used

http://research.amnh.org/anthropology/database/collections

http://www.nmai.si.edu/
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com