Author Topic: hazelnut tree any good?  (Read 3897 times)

Offline mutch

hazelnut tree any good?
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:57:33 am »
hi, i'm relatively new to bow making and i have hazelnut trees readily available i was just wondering if they make decent bows.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: hazelnut tree any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:02:30 am »
Yes Hazelnut makes a great bow! Allot of guys back it I think but im sure you could make one unbacked as well Just saw one John Strunk is finishing today and it was beautiful! 62 lbs @ 28" If you do a search on here you will find some nice ones on here. Gordon did a Hazelnut build allong and its great you can find it in the archives on here.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline mutch

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:04:25 am »
sweet thanks! ill look into.

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:31 am »
I have two hazelnut bows made by John Strunk. Both have rounded backs and flat bellies, no string follow, and superior cast.  One is 70" long, the other is 64" long.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:48 am »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:06:58 am »
Nice ghost post some pics!!

Josh

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:14:31 am »
Josh, I'm jealous that you're so close to John Strunk. I'd tell you to make the best of it but I'm sure you already are.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:56 am »
Ya I have been working on my trade bow over there when I can justt went over there today to pull my bow out of the heat box just got rawhide on it, I feel very lucky to be so close to him! I cantbelieve he hasnt got sick of me yet lol

Josh

Offline mutch

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:37 am »
i'm just going to try a smaller bow to start out with. how long would you recommend drying the wood?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
Strange, i did reply to this post but its gone missing.
Anyways heat is the key and a flat belly, lovely bow wood.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25689.msg349952.html#msg349952