Author Topic: Another ERC plan????  (Read 1679 times)

Offline coaster500

Another ERC plan????
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:10:46 pm »
Ok this is my second piece of ERC…  the first got to bow stage but due to multiple knots it is laying against the wall after about 50 or 60 arrows “retired”…  it hasn’t blown but I think it’s toast and will at anytime. I’ll call it my practice stave :)

My second piece is near perfect in that there is not a single knot for the entire 72”s and there are no areas where the heartwood and the sapwood blend (at least on the sapwood back). It also has ˝” or so of natural reflex. There is however a bit of twist and the sapwood is very thin maybe 1/8 to 1/4 through out the stave. The stave is also very narrow so fades would be almost non existent. So that leaves me with ELB designs or ?

What ever direction it will be backed!!!!

I’ve never built what I would call a real ELB so I need some help with dimensions…  OR maybe someone here has another idea for this red stuff :)

72”s

Some twist

Narrow mid limb

Thin sapwood

˝” of natural reflex and no knots with very straight grain

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

Re: Another ERC plan????
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »
Man...you guys are going ERC crazy here...lol  :laugh:

Hmm?...my opinion wood be since there's so much clean wood for its whole length and kinda narrow(how narrow?)that It wood be hard to assign than stave to anything other than an ELB type bow,but not as round in cross section as you do yew. Soooo...id say rawhide, thin bamboo,or a hickory backing is in order. Unless you got a lot of nerve to try an unbacked bow. I've never tried it,but I don't want to either.

If your fine with cutting length off and have enough width then go with sinew,my favorite for this wood....but hey I only made two bows from it. A hickory backed longbow,and a short sinewed bow.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:33:44 pm »
"but not as round in cross section"  ?

what shape?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »
This one can be disputed and debated coaster...but IMHO id make it a crowned belly,which isn't flat,and isn't round like a true ELB by rule. Its an in betweener. ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:23 pm »
I concur with Blackhawk's assessment !   Josh

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:14 pm »
It would take some knowledge on my part to debate :)

I'm just fishin for some direction from those that does :)

so as far as layout since there are no fades...  how wide at the handle and tips? and how long for a 28" draw (thinking of a buddy)?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »
As long as you can get and as wide as that stave will allow at the handle (1 1/2")  Josh

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:36 pm »
so Doc you would use the hole 72" and leave the handle the 1 3/8" it is?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »
kip i just got 2 new erc stave s myself  iv made about a dozen bows with it  in my book im goin wide and long as i can get and leave as much of the sap on as u can it s stronger then the erc heartwood iv made some unbacked with a lot of sap but to b safe back that sap with rawhide  or silk i like makin a long prymid style with 2 - 1/2 wide limbs that tappren down to 1/2 nocks  marc st louis  has bulit a 120# war bow with it do a serch  it s here on pa  brock

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »
so Doc you would use the hole 72" and leave the handle the 1 3/8" it is?

Absolutely!   Josh

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:27:58 pm »
As this as that sapwood looks, you should be able to slap on a rawhide and start tillering.  A bendy handle D bow as long as you can get it would be a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet shooter.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28:26 am »
Thanks Doc...  hey brock I'd have to squash this one to find two inches at the fades ...  this be a skinny chunk of ERC but a very nice one :) sweeney I'm hopefull ...  it's working good so far...

I work this ERC stave to here today...  man I hope I can make a shooter out of this one.

From here

to here

Offline bcbull

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:58 am »
it s lookin good kip keep the pic s comin  brock >:D

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:53 am »
That's just a piece of fire wood,send it here and Ill burn it for ya!! Jealous!!