Author Topic: Russian olive warbow 76"ntn  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Josh B

Russian olive warbow 76"ntn
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »
This was a piece of Russian olive I harvested in Price UT.  The tree was 4" thick, about 40 rpi and riddled  with knots.  1 1/2" wide at the handle, 1 1/4" thick and 76" inches long.

27"-  90#    :)

28"- 94#    :D

29"- 99#    ;D

30"-   :o >:( :'(

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Russian olive warbow 76"ntn
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:00 pm »
Ouch!

Man that's a Heart Break...

Sorry to see it.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »
what a bummer
was really looking forward to seeing that bow
sorry bout that!!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »
ooops. How in the heavens did you manage to pull that thing back being that heavy? It gave me a hernia just thinking about it. Oh well, onward and upwards.   Good experience though I'm sure.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Bernal

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »
Bummer about break...

I'm not familiar with the Russian olive, was the break due to the knots or the wood itself?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:21 pm »
Bummer about break...

I'm not familiar with the Russian olive, was the break due to the knots or the wood itself?

I'd like to know as well.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 04:11:26 pm »
Yup we all break em...there mustve been a bowbreaking ghost running around,cus last night I had an osage fail in tension and broke clean off the upper part of my upper limb. I feel ya brother

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »
man josh thats a big boom  : im in castledale now  workin got some juniper here but never olive i get that at home lol made some flat bows with it turned out ok but never a war bow haha im bettin if ya get a piece knot free a good one it will work  so now ya got some ideas in my head  ha  brock

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 05:23:47 pm »
Big boom is right!  My ears were ringing after it went CRACK ! :o. This stave had alot of odds stacked against it. Paper thin rings, high crown, and riddled with knots.  Unfortunately, none of that caused the failure.  Due to some rough handling during the trip home from UT ,  I had inadvertently dented the back in several places.  Normally, I just raise the dents with steam and all is well.  A few months ago while doing just that, I was interrupted before I got the last dent raised.  I then promptly forgot about it until doing my failure analysis during which it became painfully obvious that, the dent was 100% the cause of the tension failure .  I'm still a couple months away from my 40th birthday and already plagued with CRS!  I will definitely try Russian olive again.  Josh

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:04:33 pm »
josh  how did that sap work ?  im thinkin to try it  the ones i made were backed with no sap did one with white oak a cople rawhide  man i tell ya the stuff is reallly pretty when finished but i have been takin it off same as i do osage and maulberry do u think the sap helped  such as usin erc or yew sap  iv been wonderin about that brock

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »
I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with Russian olive to give a well informed opinion. I honestly believe that any kind of wood with that kind of square edged dent would have failed.  Yes, even Osage which is as close to bullet proof as I've ever used. That being said, my gut tells me that it would be sound.  I put a helluva strain on it before it blew.  The only indication of failure was the dent.  It had only taken an inch of set after pulling it numerous times to 29".  It was still holding 3 " of natural reflex.  One more reason to kick myself I guess.  Oh well! As Jawge says "if you ain't breakin', you ain't makin' "  Josh 

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »
Oh bummer Josh  Looks like it would have been a dandy

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:06 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline MoNative

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:38 am »
Trust me man we know how it feels! Heart sinks to your stomach when that happens :P
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:38 am »
Josh, sorry to see that. What is CRS?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.