Author Topic: Pine pitch gathering  (Read 2073 times)

Offline GaryR

Pine pitch gathering
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:52:45 pm »
I'm going to try my hand at making my own pitch. Should I drill a hole in the tree, or just strike it with the hatchet? I think the hole would produce more resin but need your experience. Also, does the time of year make any difference? How long before it stops oozing?
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pine pitch gathering
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »
Gary, I wouldn't damage trees to get pitch. There is plenty from natural damage. Just look around all the pines in your area and you will find pitch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »
Look up  Gathering Turpitine in Florida,,,,I can do it but hard for me to explain,,this was big industry around here back during the 20s,30s,,,it wont hurt the tree if done properly.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
Like Rick said. Long leaf pines were put here to produce turpentine, dynamite or lumber. Turpentine being the least destructive and ever producing.
 The traditional way was to cut a V slash in the tree, strip the bark to the skin about six inches above it. then nail a V shaped sheet metal funnel to the tree with a red clay pot hanging from a nail.

If it is not a long leaf and the days don't average what Central Florida's temperatures are I wouldn't bother.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:12 am »
I have at least 50 big pines on my property,I would be glad to gather some for you if you like. We use pine trees for every thing around here,,one year was very tight on cash so my boys cut down a small one for a Christmas tree!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:27:10 am »
If you know of any areas that have been developed it's usually pretty easy to find there.  Those dozers tend to beat up the trees pretty good.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:23:57 am »
The main problem I have collecting fresh pitch over finding hard pitch balls on old tree wounds is you have to cook out the volatile oils before you make pitch glue or varnish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
Rick, Thanks for the offer but I'd like to learn on my own. I like to learn these types of skills to be more self sufficient rather than becoming more dependent like cattle or welfare recipients.
Gary

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:38 pm »
I understand fully!  Mullet was right,cut a V-notch after you scrape the bark away and hang a container on the tree,,dont know where you are but here the sap runs year round.  Good luck!