Author Topic: brokebow  (Read 4808 times)

Offline butch

brokebow
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:34:53 pm »
makeing a 68" hickory . 1.5" wide , 0.5" tips. to much follow ,i tried to recurve , and snaped 2.5" on the tip. recurve patterned from a 52" kodiac magnum, too radical??? if i take 2.5" of each end  it will be 60" n to n.. is this to short for this width??  will backing it help"?? preheated the tip , used light pressure with more heat and she stated going easy , then it broke.  my first bow it was pulling 55# , 24 " put out arras nicely. i have 2 others similar designed , floor tilleringnow. should i hang this up as a lesson learned and concetrate on the others or is this bow still worth working on .. thanks.                           butch             

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: brokebow
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:42:29 pm »
You be better of steem bending recurves like that,

1 1/2" is quite wide, ....you should be O.K.  with a 60" bow
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 05:44:15 pm »
  If you cut 2.5" off each end that will still leave 63".At the wieght you were pulling and length you should still have some goody left in it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 09:04:43 pm »
Don't worry about string follow until you've made a couple dozen bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline butch

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:16:25 pm »
i cut it down and tried to string it without triming the limbs to get a stronger  bow .. SNAP. she wont put any meat up this year. will try finishing the others with better results.. anyone around okla. want to trade hunts in october i have some good blinds and trees ready .  thinking of room, board stands in fair to good spots.  thanks   butch.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 01:27:50 am »
Butch, at 1 1/2 wide, 68" long and 55#@ 24" the bow really shouldnt have taken more than a whisper of set, did you crown you tiller into a small working area or keep the fades too stiff for too long? Good to examine bows that don't come out just right. Steve

Offline butch

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:16:14 am »
badger , dont know what(crowning) tiller is? to start she had a 6" handle (too long) 2" fades,  0.5" down to 3\8 limbs, 1.5" to 7\16 tips .  1 snake around a limb, 3 humps , and 2 short high crowns on the outer limbs . originally 72" but seemed weak about 2\3 way out on both. i cut 2 " off trying to corract it, better but not good. heated and strung it backward with more heat. straitend it up but still weak at 2\3. then i tried the recurve and snaped a tip. shortend again and killed it trying to string it without narrowing limbs . hope this makes sence cause the next one is just like it,..weak at 2\3 stiff tips 72" ..50# @24". i should make a couple boards first without all the crowns, humps and snakes . seems simpler that way .  any way, i hope for more advise from you guys who can do this while nightwalking. butch

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 02:48:56 pm »

Butch, I'm with Manny in that steaming is the way to go for radical recurving. Also a shorter handle and fades would allow for more limb length bending. The last recurve that I attempted I also had too stiff in the recurved section which  over-stressed the working portion of the limbs which were to short.  Needed to have more limb working to better distribute the stress. That bow broke as well. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...