Author Topic: Ash bow 2 ( implimenting lessons learned )  (Read 1422 times)

Offline sleek

Ash bow 2 ( implimenting lessons learned )
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:07 am »
Ok guys, here I go again. You may find I am not so hardheaded after all ;). I am now going to start building another ash bow. This bows paramaters are 66 inches long
27 inch draw
45-55 ( preferably the higher end of the scale ) draw weight.
Slightly flipped tips.

I think it is obvious I will need my widest stave for this long draw high draw weight bow for the length i have to work with. My widest stave is 2 inches wide. I will be using that.

Here is my plan; Cut the stave to near bow deminsions ,leaving it 2 inches wide for 2/3 of the limb then tapering to 1 inch tips.
Get it to almost bending on the floor and stick it in my truck and forget it untill it stops loosing weight.
Remove and make a D style bow leaving it excessivley wide near the tips and non working the last 6 inches of them.
Tiller to the draw weight at 25 inches ish ( whenever it starts to stack Due to string angle on the tips )
Stop, shoot the bow maybe 50 or so times along with sweating the bow in.
Flip the tips just enough to remove any set the by has incurred plus 2 inches of reflex. ( this is why the bow will be so wide )
Heat treat belly ( I wait till now because I still have enough wood removal to remove the browned wood, but still not have to remove so much that the heat treated wood is removed during the final tiller )
Tiller it down to the final draw weight and length, reduce tip mass, shoot the bow in and finish.

I do believe this should cover all the bases I have gone though in my other ash bow build. I will make this build as documented as possiable with pictures and such. Any one see a problem with my ideas here?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dwardo

Re: Ash bow 2 ( implimenting lessons learned )
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:06:48 am »
Sounds like a plan :)

Just be ready to throw it in the bin and make another one when things change!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:58:07 am »
 ;) :) :) :)  dwardo, very good point,most times they don't go as planed for me,that is why I usually have no real plan, ;) ;D ;D but that does sound like a good one sleek , hope it all works out and looking forward to seeing the results. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:01 pm »
I am fairly new to building bows, but 1 thing I have learned is don't rush the process of drying. wood unless you like crack filling, and string follow.
 Pete
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:21:40 pm »
Sounds like you have a solid plan.  Good luck and looking forward to see your progress!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln