Author Topic: Worm holes on the back of the bow  (Read 2109 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Worm holes on the back of the bow
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:36 am »
Will these little holes cause problem for the back of my osage?  That's not a ring violation below the worm holes.  I just haven't sanded out a dip.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Worm holes on the back of the bow
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:26 am »
How deep are they?  Could you go another ring or two down and remove them?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:26 am »
I'd go down another ring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:07 am »
I have built bows with much worse borer damage than that...but...I ran out of bow wood in that case and couldn't take them out.  Like the guys have said, if you can go down another ring I would.  However, if you're going to leave borer damage in a bow back, you want it to run the direction of the limb and those 2 do.  I always fill  voids like that with sawdust and superglue.  Looks like this when the bow is done (the filled borer hole is in the the upper limb):

The most dangerous borer holes are the ones that go down into the wood and then turn and go across the limb sideways.  Those are killers.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46:22 am »
I would go another ring if possible,at very least do what George said with sawdust and super glue, If I can't go another ring I usually  rawhide back it after filling with dust and super glue, especially if it is in a hard working part of the limb. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:35:43 am »
  With osage if it's not on a edge I just supper glue saw dust in it. I even made bows for myself and not even worry about it. Matter afact I built one a few years back that had 61 borer holes. I hunted with it a season. Before I traded it off.
  WITH THOSE I JUST SUPER GLUE SAW DUST IN THEM. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE TIME TO GO DOWN A RING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »
The worm holes are not deep, maybe not even through that ring.  I want to make a bending handle bow.  If I go down one more ring it's unlike that I will have enough wood in the handle to make a 45# to 50# bow.  I would have to glue on a riser and make a stiff handle bow.

Yes these holes are in the working part of the limb, the bottom 1/3 near the handle.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:40:01 pm »
You can take a chance if you want but I would fill it with super glue and sawdust and rawhide or some other thin backing,I rather be safe than sorry. Crooketarrow says he does it all the time and that may be so but I have seen to many pop a splinter at the hole, it's not like a knot hole where the grain has grown around the hole. :) JMO. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:34 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice.  I really do appreciate it.  Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw