Author Topic: Hickory backed red oak English longbow  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Bernal

Hickory backed red oak English longbow
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:43:22 am »
Just finished my second bow and as such it was the first time I tried many things such as lamination, horn nocks, inlaid arrow plate, and the ELB shape.  The backing is a 5/32" hickory strip on a red oak base. It is 75 1/2 inches nock to nock and #47 at 28". I accidentally deflexed it 3/4 inch during lamination and then it took on another 1 1/4 inches of set for about 2 inches of string follow. I used Titebond III for the lamination, loctite for the nocks/arrow plate, and Arm-R-Seal (oil/urathane) for the finish. The nocks and arrow plate are cow horn that I cut and shaped myself. I'll be taking it out tomorrow to see how it shoots. I'm really pleased with how it turned out even with all the mistakes I made along the way and now I can't wait to start my next ELB.

Offline 15DLongbow

• I pretend to know what I'm doing.
Re: Hickory backed red oak English longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:02:06 am »
awesome bow, I'm a real sucker for the ELB style...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:05:52 am »
Very nice, and the string follow will aid in accuracy and lend it's self to be a smooth shooter enjoy :)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:40:51 am »
Very nice. Tiller looks great.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:25 am »
That's a fantastic start...nice job ;)

Offline Bernal

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »
I got to shoot a few hundred arrows with this bow yesterday afternoon and it shot very nicely. Accurate and little to no hand shock. Both my friends that also shot it felt the same. I don't have a chrono, but my gut feeling is that it's a tad slow for it's draw weight, but I can live with that in exchange for the smooth release it has.

I have to thank Pearl Drums for suggesting in another post that I just accept the string follow and not try to take it out with heat.

15DLongbow: I'm with you on being a sucker for the ELB... to my eyes the ELB is the luxury car equivalent in the bow world as far as looks go.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:38:12 pm »
That is a beauty. Love the ELB.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis