Author Topic: Need some suggestions for spring break project.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Need some suggestions for spring break project.
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »
I've decided to build a recurve bow over my spring break. It will be a board bow since I don't have any dry staves. Now I have ready access to some ash, hickory, cherry, maple and oak boards, so it will be some combination of those woods. I am open to using up to three different types or just one. But I have a few questions.

1) Should I go with a wood backed bow or a tri-lam?

2) Should I force the laminations into a recurve form during the glue up, or use steam/dry heat to do that afterwards? I already plan on at least putting the bow into reflex for the glue up.

3) I'd like to make it as short as is safe with a 28" draw and stiff handle. How short do you think I can safely go?

4) How wide should I make the limbs?

5) Any suggestions on which combo of boards I should use?

Now they might have a better variety of boards there, those are just the ones I am sure of, so if you think of a different type of wood that would be good let me know, and I'll ask if they have it. Also I plan on making the recurves non-working, and I don't plan to back this bow.

I should add that I'd like to get a 60lb bow out of it. Is this reasonable?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:51:01 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Need some suggestions for spring break project.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »
Heat/Steam bending after glue up is an iffy proposition. It can damage the glue up. Better to glue up in the curve form you are wanting.

Shortest 'safe' length - 28 x 2 + 8 = 64 (depending on the woods ability for compression and the backs ability for stretch.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Need some suggestions for spring break project.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »
Thanks for that. So glue form it is.