Author Topic: Tillering with unequal length limbs?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline 15DLongbow

• I pretend to know what I'm doing.
Tillering with unequal length limbs?
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:11:13 pm »
i've started work on my second bow, but i glued on the riser a couple inches low so the arrow rest will be center on the bow, now im wondering if theres anything i should be keeping in mind once i get this to the tillering stage because one limb is two or three inches longer than the other?

Offline artcher1

Re: Tillering with unequal length limbs?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:18 am »
You can't have the arrow pass at the center of the bow. That leaves no place for you to grip your bow. Two inches longer on the upper limb is about all I could stand myself. Would have to shoot using a straight wrist to do that.......Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
Tiller doesnt change for any bow or design. The limbs need to bend evenly and nicely to match the bows profile or style. No comment on the handle placement, to each his own.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:31 am »
IMO, the biggest problem is caused by putting the bow on the tiller supported in the wrong place and pulling the string back in the wrong place.
Try to feel exactly where your hand will support the bow (usually about 1" below the arrow pass unless you use the heel of you hand a lot)
Once you can get a proper length string on somewhere near brace height put a bit of tape on the string where the arrow will be nocked and draw the string back from just below that point.
This way the tiller is simulating how you shoot and you will avoid a nasty shock when you see the bow being used.
The other point is don't clamp the bow on the tiller allow it rock back and forth as it is drawn.
If you do it as I suggest you will see at very low draws the bow is skewed, but this is how it looks in reality when you hold a bow! As you draw it all evens out if the tiller is good.
Del (terms and conditions apply, other opinions are also available ;))
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.