Author Topic: Hawthorn  (Read 3458 times)

Offline bushman

Hawthorn
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:04:38 am »
Has anyone every tried to use Hawthorn for an unbacked ELB. I was thinking of using it to make one in the 100 lb range if I can find a good enough stave. Was think of making it 66 to 72 inches long, I’m only going to be drawing about 28/29 inches, I can draw 31 but thats with light bows. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.
Bushman

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:17 am »
ELB to 29", I reckon you want 74" for some safety, 70" absolute bare minimum.
I can't seem to find any clean straight Hawthorn of a sensible diameter.
Had one bit a couple of years ago, the grain did the weirdest things... ended up in the corner of shame (pretty much on it's own)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Qwill

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:42 pm »
Based on my experience with hawthorn, I'd guess a flatbow would be a better design, the stuff is incredibly tough and resilient in tension, but I think a deep cross section would slow it down. My two cents. I've seen a few saplings that could be longbow material growing deep in thickets, straight up to find sunlight. I'm just not tough enough to go in after them.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:11 am »
Hawthorn can handle a fairly rounded belly. I've made a few short d-bows out of it with rounded bellies to see what it can handle. Agreed with Del as 70inch minimum.
Have fun finding a piece tho.....good luck.

Offline bushman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I have seen some nice hawthorn over the years in creek beds, some is no good but you come across some nice trees the odd time.
Bushman

Offline Qwill

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:43 pm »
I may have to try a narrower bow with Hawthorn. It will certainly make finding a stave easier. Thanks for the info.