Author Topic: DCM last wishes( bow pics added)  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Timo

DCM last wishes( bow pics added)
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »
 Moderators please place this wherever it seems fit.

Hey Everyone, It’s been a while since I have posted anything here, life has gotten very busy for me with the birth of my first grandchild my time has been spent in other places, so for that forgive me.
This may get a bit winded but bear with me.
Many or most of you knew David Mims, aka “DCM”. I’ll not go into details of the great man, father, husband, and friend that he was, or the fact that he was one of the best at making a wood bow yield to his hands, for he was really more than that.
A few weeks before David left this earth, he contacted me about a few bows that he wanted me to have, to do with whatever I wanted. I felt honored that he chose me to care for his creations. I agreed and he sent them. Six bows in all, I was in a quandary as to what to do with them but after some careful thought I devised a plan.
There are four bows of which will go back to those who had built them as gifts to David and two others that were built by David for the first ABC bow contest that was started my Dean Torges a few years back. He never submitted them to be judged, (after seeing them I wondered why), for they are dandies. It is these two bows that gave me an idea, of which I posed to David and he was well pleased. It gave me a real sense of satisfaction in knowing that I had made a great mans last days of life a bit happier.
The two organizations that held David’s love were the “TN Classic” and “Mojam”. Both of which will receive one of these bows to be put up for auction or other fund raising event, to benefit whatever the organization chooses, I will leave that up to the leaders of such groups to decide.
I have already been in contact with Pappy, and will soon contact Keith Bishop, with more imfo. I will also post pictures and some specs on these two find 58” screamers, as time permits.
Thanks, Timo
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:02:19 am by Timo »

Offline Keenan

Re: DCM last wishes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:26 pm »
Bravo Timo,  Great idea and you'll have my support. I think any of us fellow bowyers would be more then honered to have a shot at owning one of his master pieces.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:54 pm »
Awesome
Now I really need to get to the Classic !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:56:40 pm »
Would make him very happy....very honorable, Timo.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:10 am »
timo  he told me he wanted me to take him elk hunting this year  man i was all set to do it,,,,,,  but anyway  when mojam come s u can bet ill be biddin on the bow  brock

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:00:57 am »
This is very cool, Tim. You have most of the bases covered with these two events. I look forward to the opportunity for a chance at one of David's bows. I hope you will be hand delivering the bow to the Tenn Classic.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:28:13 am »
OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:25:02 am »
Way to help him give, good for you ;) id really like to see the pics...bummer I can't get to the events :(
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:36 am »
  That's very nice of you Timo.....  Maybe we can all team up somehow and build a tribute bow to honor the man

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:53:37 pm »
Very nice Timo  :) 
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »
Great gesture Timo in honor of your friend ... 

I would love to see your friends bows...
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:59:37 pm »
Here are a few pics of the bows I spoke of.

The first one is the one I will be sending to the tn classic.My scales weighed it 62# @ 28" Remember these bows had to weigh at least 60# @ 28" to be entered. These are both self bow, un adorned and simplicity is the rule. So wholesome with beautiful arcs.

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:22 am »
Number two will be going to Mojam. It weighs in  64# @ 28". The belly on it has been heat treated. I imagine both of these bows hit like freight trains.

Offline SA

Re: DCM last wishes( bow pics added)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 12:29:40 am »
those are good looking bows and a great way to honor your friend.
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: DCM last wishes( bow pics added)
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:59 am »
...I will be sending to the TN. Classic...  ...is going to MoJam...  Can I assume you won't be gracing our presents at the Classic?  :(
  Both of these bows are beautiful in their simplicity. True hunting bows! The real beauty is in the Medicine David is passing on to two lucky recipients and to everyone else in his memory.
  By the way, the first one is just my draw weight!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC