Author Topic: unfinished 64" elm 67@32" full draw shot...finished it plain  (Read 13566 times)

blackhawk

Re: unfinished 64" elm 67@32" full draw shot
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:36 pm »
Hi Guy,

its almost identical to the lil osage bow i made at martys(i did tweak it some after i got home),but its a bigger version in whitewood,and to be able to see if it wood handle the big draw. i hope it sparked some question in design,cus i want to know if anyone has made something like this,and so far no one has spoke up. at least not this exact way i did it. to be honest it looks like it has a lot of tim baker(narrow stiff tips/andaman-holmgaard style),marc st louis(short R/D working limbs,but with long slight reflexed levers instead of the recurves) influences in it and its a bend in the handle. so dont credit me with it ;)...i just made a concotion of a few types. ;)

i think a lot of us here are guilty of the wheelie bow sins

and your last question is a tough one for me to answer. im torn as you prob know between the two. i get to see my pa buddies a lot more than my michigan(and one buckeye)buddies,and my heart wants to go to marshall,but the presque isle is kinda my home shoot with my buddies here.  :-\  :-\ . i hate to say it if any of them read this,but right now i am leaning towards marshall. if thtas still the case( a lot can change from now till then),then i will bring this with me. i know this one will shoot over the pond,and you can try too(but use one of your arrows..lol) :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 05:48:34 pm »
DONT FORGET WHERE YOUR FROM YOU SUNNAVAGUN!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 06:07:24 pm »
I guess the recurve into lever into recurve just jumped out more ,or maybe finally soaked in !
I am a little slow !
As far as coming to Marshall , I understand cause they wood have to shoot me to keep me away from Marshall !
You are not old enough to be apart of the putting wheels on recurves  ::) a lot of nice bows where sacrificed in that experiment including a double limb double recurve Hit that I wood give a pile of money to have back so we will just drop that
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »
Buckeye, I also am a double agent ...shhhhhh don't tell anybody I have wheels...
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »

GO BLUE!!!!!!!   ;)

@Guy..if i shot wheelie bows then im guilty of promoting it as well,even if im not old enough to be a part of the industrial revolution..  :laugh:

thad if your telling the truth and still shooting those things,then im gonna drive out to minnesota and grab that pile of junk metal out of your heads and bash it like a rock star  >:D....geez...why so violent blackhawk....lol :laugh:

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:27 pm »

GO BLUE!!!!!!!   ;)

@Guy..if i shot wheelie bows then im guilty of promoting it as well,even if im not old enough to be a part of the industrial revolution..  :laugh:

thad if your telling the truth and still shooting those things,then im gonna drive out to minnesota and grab that pile of junk metal out of your heads and bash it like a rock star  >:D....geez...why so violent blackhawk....lol :laugh:

WOW blackhawk don't hold back tell me how you really feel ...sorry I did not mean to blowup...im

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »
Could not fit in the quote but I am an archery addict 1-3strings...I got 2turn tables and a microphone, where its at ;D  >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »
sorry soy...im havin a bad day,and to top it off i just had a tension failure snap a limb clean off on an electric yeller wood with purpleheart overlays n handle  :-[  >:(....so it didnt take much to flip my switch ..lol  :laugh:..its one of them days

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:06 pm »
Sorry to hear that my friend, I was just playing along no feelings are hurt here :'(

blackhawk

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:46 pm »
i know ;)

im wanting to chrono this soon,but its looking wet n dreary all week here...i need good lighting to get a good read with it,them things are tempermental

Offline sleek

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 04:13:41 am »
I am guilty of shooting wheels in the past, guilty of buying one for a friend recently, and guilty of enjoying them. Also guilty of being a bow tech on them at bass pro shops and encouraging folks to buy them at one point. However fun they are to shoot and hit withing a 1/2 inch of your point of aim, its much much more fun to go to the range and piss all the compound guys off with my wooden bows.

My favorite thing to do is go to the range and stand next to a guy shooting his bow and tuning it. His arrow will go left and low of his mark and make an adjustment. I will then shoot my arrow right at his and hit within 2 inches or so. Then he fires again, misses, makes another adjustment, and I will hit right next to his again and wait. This will go on untill he is hitting bulls eye fairly regularly, and I will be to. I then look at him and say, well, looks like we finally got our bows tuned in. I usually get a weird look from whoever is shooting, which is pricless. Then we either will talk about bows for a bit or I will just keep shooting laughing inside. Yall should try it sometime, really funny.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

blackhawk

Re: unfinished 64" elm 67@32" full draw shot...finished it plain
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:24 pm »
i knew right ater i shot my first arrow that i at least needed to seal it...and since its not for any hunting forays i just left it as is and slopped some tru oil on her. ill take her out for special occasion when i feel like letting loose. ;D....sorry nuttin fancy here guys :P

Offline sleek

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 04:37:28 am »
Hey man, I am lovin it.... To the point that I have a nice naturally r/d mulberry I am gonna modle after this design. However, I want a stiff handle. Do you feel a bendy handle is important to your design or will it work with a stiff handle?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

blackhawk

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 10:00:16 am »
sleek..i think a stiff handle would work with it...i wood just add the length of your handle to it for your overall length. my first version(yeller mighty mouse)is 50.5" ntn and pulls to 25". i bet if you wanted a stiff handle design at this draw length you wood just add 8" to it and make it 58.5"ntn. if you wanted more draw length then just add 2" to your length for every addtional inch of draw. i think the bend in the handle eases the stresses in this better than a stiff handle would...thats putting a lot of stress into the fades area. but i havent tried it with a stiff handle yet either...thats just some of my opinionated thoughts on it. go back and read my responses to ken about a stiff handle compared to a bend in the handle in this design.i also wood only do this design with good sound wood(thru the working limbs)cus thats asking a lot out of the wood and really making them work in overtime. and start out a lil on the wide side and you can reduce down later as you tiller. i wood prob start out at around 1 3/4"(no less) wide at the fades with a good piece of mulberry. feel free to ask me anymore questions you have as you know ill answer them

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 10:06:19 am »
B-O-R-I-N-G. .............except the tips. They look cool! Bring it to Marshall so I can launch a few miss isles from her!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.