Author Topic: More questions about heating  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

More questions about heating
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:38 am »
Back to work on my Pecan bow,I got it bending pretty well,noticed I had some propeller twist in the bottom limb,I heated it,used the wrench and jug of water method I saw Jawge post a while back,The twist is gone but now I want to heat some reflex in. Question is all this heating I have done with a heat gun,would it be ok to use steam to do the reflex? And I was planning to back the bow with rawhide,should I do this before I start tillering after the heating and bending is done?
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: More questions about heating
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:15:17 am »
Use dry heat. It will work better and "stick" better in my opinion. Im unsure what you use for reflexing, I attached a pic showing a very simple way to do it if you dont have a caul or form. There was rawhde on the bow already when I added a touch more reflex on this bow to catch up with the other limb. No the TBIII didnt let go. I heated it slowly and from a distance, just hot enough to burn my fingys, then clamped it down. It worked perfectly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »
Back to work on my Pecan bow,I got it bending pretty well,noticed I had some propeller twist in the bottom limb,I heated it,used the wrench and jug of water method I saw Jawge post a while back,The twist is gone but now I want to heat some reflex in. Question is all this heating I have done with a heat gun,would it be ok to use steam to do the reflex? And I was planning to back the bow with rawhide,should I do this before I start tillering after the heating and bending is done?

do you mind posting that link about the wrench and jug of water method?

Thanks
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »
This is similar to Georgeys. I use a paint can rather.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
Remember that any correction you made for twist will partially come undone as you re-heat that secton to add your reflex.  With a little pre-planning and head scratching it's possible to do both reflexing and twist correction at the same time. 

Go to it, and good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:50:17 pm »
Ahhhhhhhh,,,guess I should have waited a bit!!  Thanks,lesson learned!  :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does