Author Topic: knapping rock near Corpus Christie  (Read 1862 times)

Offline JEB

knapping rock near Corpus Christie
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »
Any knapping rock near Corpus Christie, Texas.  Asking for a guy on a trad archery site.  Thanks in advance

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: knapping rock near Corpus Christie
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:24:27 am »
Yes, there is some but it will be small chunks or what they call "gravel".  The further inland you go, the more flint you will find.  Landscape supply yards would be you best bet when looking for chert and other knappable stone.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:09:02 am »
 Some of that gravel can be pretty tough stuff. When heated it knaps very well & some of the color changes are amazing. I've made a many a point from resteraunt stone.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:48 am »
I once picked up a couple rocks outside a hotel in New Braunfels while on vacation.  They were trying to use them for erosion control, silly hotel manager.......chert is no good for that.... :P :P  The wife made me put it back anyway :'(
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:14 am »
If you get a chance head on up toward San Antonio. Lot's of chert up there and around La Coste on the south end. Till then the restaurant chert sounds like a good idea :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:43 am »
  The wife made me put it back anyway :'(

Haaa haaa heeee heeeee.  They are all sister brother. I picked up some nice restaurant flint in San Antone... Well I was picking it up until my dear wife yelled out at Diego and I, "honey don't steal the rocks off the parking lot. We have a Jesus sticker on our bumper!"

Wish I were making it up.  >:D

Diego and I pretended like we didn't know her. A random stranger fussing at a man a d his boy and loaded up ;D 8) :)  Oh yea:)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:41:03 am »
When we went to float the Comal river, I found a random chert tablet laying in the parking lot of the tube rental place.  It looked like it was in the way and that someone was BOUND to trip on it, so I did my duty as a good citizen and removed the trip hazard and placed it in the car before the wifey saw it. LOL  ;D
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »
My wife draws the line at picking up women,rocks she doesn't mind.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
Jimbob way to take it before someone stole it ;)

Frank, I'm going to run that philosophy by my wife.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.