Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Sinew Bowstring

<< < (3/4) > >>

Hartung:
Do you think a sinew bowstring could be made for a 50-60# bow? How should that string look like?

I have found this statement concerning a strong sinew bowstring:

“By reverse-wrapping a string to more than twice the length of the bow, then folding the cordage in half and reverse-wrapping it again, you'll produce a strong and durable bowstring with a loop at one end.”

Would that be an option for a good bowstring? Anything to take special care of when making such a bowstring? Any other way of making a strong sinew bowstring (weaving, braiding)?

Thanks once more for all your help.

jamie:
i have 3 bows with sinew strings that are 2 ply. all the bows are 50-55lbs. like justin said before on another post. "you can pull a truck with a sinew string". peace

Hartung:
Very precious information, thanks Jamie.

a finnish native:
like Jamie said it will hold. A northern Cheyenne called Strong left hand had a bow so strong he killed two Buffalo's with one arrow more than a few times. only a handful of warriors could draw his bow. by the state of these facts I'd say that it was at least 120#. and I don't think his string was from Dacron.  ::) And remember also that Cheyenne people weren't small either. a normal man was around 74,4 inches long.

rdb:

--- Quote from: Hartung on August 10, 2007, 03:12:53 pm ---Rdb,

Your post is very helpful too. So thank you for your contribution. Concerning question #4, ok, I know, what you mean.

I add this picture: the left sinew is pounded and pulled apart Achilles tendon with still a lot of sinew fibres attached to each other (scale is in cm). The right sinew bundle is combed sinew with a small strand (red arrow) showing how it looks like.

One more question:
5. For manufacturing your string, do you comb the sinew and than use the combed fibres? Or do you just pound and pull the sinew apart and then use these roughly pulled apart fibres for making your string?

To all the other bowyers and sinew string makers: please don’t hesitate to jump into the discussion to give us your experience.

Thanks to all!

PS: Hope your grandma is well  :D

--- End quote ---

Hartung,

Sounds like you're on the right track. Another technique you might consider though is to rehydrate the whole tendon then tear it apart rather than pounding. You can read a little more about it in this thread:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3024.0.html

Maybe more importantly though is to make sure each half is twisted equally and that it's as consistent as possible in thickness so there are no thin (weak) spots. It's not easy.....at least it hasn't been for me (stage fright??). I'd suggest practicing on plant fiber first....not for a bow string but for just general practice. Keep us posted on your progress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version