Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31886 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:43 pm »
For several years I competed in strongman contests and managed to do fairly well in them.  I was working hard on winning my pro card when I realized it was taking too much time away from my family and other things.  I would fly out of church each Sunday to drive an hour to meet my training partners, train for 3-4 hours, and then drive an hour home.  Then there were the weekends I would drive 2-3 hours to train with other guys.  On top of that I traveled to most of the states in the southeast to compete.  I still train pretty hard, but not quite that hard. 

I too carved decoys for a while.  My dad has been a decoy collector for a while, and carves some himself so it was one of the first things I took up.  I don't care much for the painting though.  I just don't have the patience that it requires.

I also love to fish, especially saltwater.  Unfortunately my favorite fishin' hole is about 6 hours away, and not always accessable now.  I still love slow trolling for crappies, and soaking some baits for stripers, hybrids, and big flatheads too.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »
First and foremost for me is martial arts... I have been doing them since I was five and don't plan on stopping till I'm 90...  >:D After that I love making weapons of any sort... Started when I was 3 or 4 with cardboard knives and swords, but now I have made and continue to make and practice with just about any primitive weapon there is. I love shooting just about anything and practicing survival and self reliance skills. Also love kayaking, backpacking, and fishing, especially from my kayak..

Jon

Offline Parnell

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »
I make fireworks from scratch.

Huh? ??? ;D
1’—>1’

Offline GaryR

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 07:37:59 pm »
Parnell, with different fuels and different oxidizers you can produce all kinds of colors. My kids and I love it.

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 10:32:40 pm »
I enjoy trapping and predator calling and have also been a licensed taxidermist here in Penna. for 20 years.A good hobby and great part-time job.It has paid for my trips to Alaska the last few times.I think my favorite hobby is backpacking.Whether it be hunting season or not I Love to grab a tarp-sleeping bag and a little gear and just disappear into the mountains for a few days.Headed north next weekend packing back in to trap beaver and build a makeshift shelter for some turkey outings in the spring.Have a great day!!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:33 pm »
I enjoy trapping and predator calling and have also been a licensed taxidermist here in Penna. for 20 years.A good hobby and great part-time job.It has paid for my trips to Alaska the last few times.I think my favorite hobby is backpacking.Whether it be hunting season or not I Love to grab a tarp-sleeping bag and a little gear and just disappear into the mountains for a few days.Headed north next weekend packing back in to trap beaver and build a makeshift shelter for some turkey outings in the spring.Have a great day!!

Man, you sound like someone who has this game of life (and bills) figured out...envious of your brains and wish you needed someone to carry your trapping gear  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 12:03:56 am »

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:07 pm »
Wood Working and Fine Carving.
Drawing with Pen and India Ink.
Hunting and Fishing.
Motorcycle Riding.
Skydiving and SCUBA.
Armature Astronomy, got a Mead 7" Mak.

And I'm a bad Bass Player...
I like both kinds of music...
Country and Western.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2012, 12:59:10 am »
I really love fishing and hunting, but my other hobbies are woodcarving and leather working.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:50 am »
Hobbies, well my wife sais I have too many lol.  I'm a black belt in Karate and teach a karate class 2 x per week.  I'm also a student in Jui Jitsu usually hit the mats about 3 x week.  Love to hunt and fish.  Other than that I enjoy making bows and arrows.  Working on my first antler handle knife.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Josh B

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 10:09:31 pm »
Fishing and hunting of course.  I'm also an amateur gun smith.  I used to race motocross until I got fat, lazy and married, now I ride big cruisers.   I'm in the process of writing a book (need to get back at that).  I'm also a firearm instructor for our 4H region.  I love shooting and using all weapon systems I can get my gritty hands on.  Well that's enough for now.  Josh

Offline Kpete

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:36 am »
Fishing, fly-tying, cooking, and with the new scalping knife from M-P i am looking for things to use it on!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 02:50:05 am »
Building bows and arrows has dang near eclipsed some of the others..... but....

I love to paddle a canoe.  I truly love to see what's around the bend on a little river or creek I haven't been down before. 
 Catching catfish - limb lines, trot lines, rod and reel, jugs.....  I love it all.
 Picking the guitar and singing old country, bluegrass, and folk music.
 Painting landscapes...  acrylics usually.  If I can't actually be in the woods, I will paint a place to go!
 Hunting and fishing, of course.  oh, and lurking on PA.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dane

« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 07:14:33 pm »
My life is boring compared with some of you guys.

Talented cook, love especially Thai and Indian cuisine, and anything you can toss on a bbq grill. Dieting is I guess a temporary hobby, I've lost over 30 pounds since around September, and want to get down to about 140, my 22-year old weight; only 27 lbs to go.

I play the concertina, I guess my love of nautical history, and used to be an oboist through college.

Atlatls and overall stone age technology are big interests, and sometimes life drawing. I model as well as draw, though I am not particularly a good artist.

I guess my most unusual talent is I am a fully qualified motorman for a restored 114-year old combination trolley car, a Wason with GE controllers and motors that operated in this area until 1926 for the Shelburne Falls and Colraine Street Railway Company, when it was converted to a chicken coop for many years.

I also build furniture when I can find a place for a new piece, and am writing a book about my great uncle's WWII B-26 bomb group, the 391st (Medium). Tracey flew 65 combat missions, including D-Day and against German V1 missile sites. 

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »
Dane, boring??? surely you jest...the book sounds like an awesome tribute to those who came before us.  Cheers!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold