Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 31895 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »
Awesome thread! Well, I do still occasionally do tattoos. I used to do it for a living, I really enjoyed it, but needed a real job. I am about 20 credits shy of my 2nd bachelors degree in art education. The first degree is in fine arts, painting and sculpture, so I do a lot of that also. I also do a little pottery, wood turning of bowls and turkey calls. All that along with my two beautiful daughters and my wonderful Wife, keeps me pretty darn busy.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Will H

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:07 am »
This is a great thread! Im glad i found it! Well other than making bows and flintknapping (which has really got a hold on me right now) Ive been getting in to brain tanning and other primitive skills such as friction fire and cordage. Also music has been my greatest love! Im a multi instrumentalist. I play just about everything including Guitar, Piano, Banjo, mandolin, flute, trombone, drums, cello, accordian, the list goes on. I was a singer in a rock band for most of my twenties and had the opportunity to play shows and tour with bands like Alien Ant Farm, Saliva, Disturbed to name a few. I have since gone on to pursue my own music as a Singer/Songwriter. I even had a record deal in Nashville for a while... these days I enjoy being married and staying in one place with a daly routine.  :)  I am working on a new album that I hope to have pressed up before the classic though.  ;)  If anyones interested you can google Tomorrows rescue to see some old videos of my band on you tube...or Will Harrison. theres a few things out there still with my music on them.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:44 am »
Practiced Japanese Martial Arts for over 40 years, but have slowed down doing it lately. I've worn out the knees, hip, and shoulders. I like to collect old Bear recurves and other odds and ends I find at the Flea Markets and I scuba and snorkle  the rivers here for artifacts, fossils and Agatized Coral.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »
  I love mature bucks just not the hunting. But the getting ready it's 365 days a year for me. I LOVE MANAGEING the farms I hunt. And 3 others for other people and all the work that go's into doing it. Most of my hobbys are in some way related to mature bucks. I love makeing shoot arrows make trade points ,knap hunting heads as well as make a knife or 2 every winter.
  I have a couple indain camps I check out everyyear before green up for heads or artifacts. I never miss shoom season and have sold and eaten them as long as I can remember. I use'lly camp a time or 3 with my sons. Fly fish every chance I get. When AUG, SEPT rolls around. I have a little ginsang bissness going. My hobbys are season related mosty.  I guess you can say my whole lifes a hobby. It is to me. If you like what your doing you never go to work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Keenan

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 01:26:40 pm »
I make short walking sticks that look like broken  left over bow parts. Sometimes I make jig saw puzzles that look like bows that have been blown up,,,,,,,,,,, Other times I make very small pieces of fire wood that resembles kindling but is often sanded and shaped.   You get the idea.

OK for the serious side. I've surprised how many of us are into martial arts. I was a gymnast for seven years, through high school and collage. Competed against some of the greats like Bart Conner and Kirt Thomas. Mostly rings and high bar.  It was those years that I was in the Martial arts. Now years later the flexibility is gone and It's hard enough to get the foot above the waist let alone up at head level.
 for years was into building and flying RC planes, scuba diving, dirt bike racing , snow skiing, water skiing, and just about any other adrenaline filled sport. These last few years my life is adjusting to low impact sports. Taking up photography again and fishing and even back to the RC plane stuff.
  Of coarse the hunting, working hides, making knives, flint knapping and all the primitive stuff is first on the mind. Always! And this leads to the other hobbies of collecting animal parts,,,,, piles of sticks,,,,,and bad driving habits when going through the forest.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »
I make fireworks from scratch.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 07:10:54 pm »
OK,   I like hearing about everybody's interests, but homemade fireworks has got to be  first.

Some of my bonsai  are blooming.  I just had to bring this plum inside for a couple of says.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:35 pm »
I don't see any staves in that thing. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
well back in the day i grew up rodeoing and did alot of saddle bronc and bull riding, and some dogging, and a ton of leather craft, used to windsurf every chance i got, Kenpo, Tae kuan do and Chinese Kempo, but now that my knees are titanium and my wrists only bend about half of what they should just been building bows arrows atlatls and chipping rock, camping and hunting, fishing, i'm a poor excuse for a fly fisherman but i keep at it, shoot some blk powder and refinishing some guns,just regular stuff, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »
 The similarities here are pretty amazing,guys write stuff and it's "Oh yeah,..I like those things too ! "  Ha !  What a great village we have.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:34 pm »
I don't see any staves in that thing.

Amateur!!!

I see three different ways I could go at that tree!  Gstoneberg just fainted with joy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:36 pm »
I build short bows, but not that short.  Would be fun to straighten that one though. ;)  Thanks for thinkin of me JW... but I never faint with joy.  Been known to get teary eyed over a nice stave. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 03:38:06 am »
Howdy,  They'd be some pretty short bows!   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Badger

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 08:23:52 am »
  Nice specimen Ron, very similar to the style I prefer to do.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 01:57:24 pm »
Thanks Badger!   When I bought my house there were a couple of seedling plums growing in the back yard.   They were too small for bowstaves, so what else was I to do with them?     Ron