Author Topic: Grip/Arrow placement  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Bernal

Grip/Arrow placement
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:45:31 pm »
While working on my last bow I realized I wasn't sure where the arrow should pass and thus where the grip should be placed. I was making an ELB that had a slight bend through the handle. Should the middle of the handle be at the exact middle of the bow or should the grip be lowered to allow the arrow to be in the exact middle? And when tillering, should the brace point be at the handle or arrow position? I would think that with the arrow above the tillered brace point, that the force would be applied unevenly to the arrow. Would that make a difference to the accuracy of the bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Grip/Arrow placement
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
I build my bows with the center of the handle being the center of the bow. I place the arrow pass at the top of my hand whenI grip the handle. It is about 1 1/2" above center. Others do it differently.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:44:22 pm »
I move my grip up or down until the bow feels and shoots perfectly. Then I gently pencil mark that spot and shoot 150-100 more arrows to be sure. Thats where the top of my grip will be. Most often that is 2" from center, rarely less for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bernal

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:07:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

This is an area of bow design that I find interesting in that it isn't discussed and debated as much as I'd expect. I've actually had difficulty finding any discussion at all on the subject.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »
This subject has been debated and discussed  many many many times on the different boards over the years Bernal. Basically, you locate your shelf/arrow pass  according to how you grip your bow, thus achieving best limb timing. If you like to use a straight wrist grip then an 1" to 1 1 /4" above center of the bow will work. Medium grip 1 1/2". Full hand grip 2". That your pick.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:41 pm »
I generally go like Pat about 1.25 to 1.5 inches above center for arrow pass