Author Topic: Which size to start a bow with?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline chuk101

Which size to start a bow with?
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:41:49 am »
Reading several places, some say to start with a 2 inch sapling and start carving.  Some say start with a 4 inch tree, and use it in halves or split it in quarters.  Others say cut a larger tree, and split it in 2-3 inch sections.  I'm guessing the the type of wood has much to do with which one is easier, but what is everyones opinion of which makes a better bow, as far as drawweight and long lasting?  Thanks in advance for answers.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Which size to start a bow with?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:45:03 am »
I started with a white ash board from a lumberyard. Still have that bow. 8)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:48:29 am »
Wood is wood. Any of these senerios will work well and make a quality bow(s). I think if you have access to a tree that you can get more than one stave from cut it. You will eventually build more bows and will have plenty of seasoned wood to work with. You can build a quality bow from a 2" sapling also so take your pick and get to bow building.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:00:20 am »
I'm with Pat on the sapling,if your just getting started a sapling can be a good way to go! Depending on the type of wood you choose,you can just remove the bark and there's the back of the bow...no ring chasing!! Ron

Offline chuk101

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:21:36 am »
Thanks, all.  I am afraid of ring chasing.  I had a 2" mulberry cut and drying in my back yard last fall, the city came thru cutting trees around power lines, and took it with all the other limbs.  Back to looking for another...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:49:32 am »
Next time store your bow wood under cover and where it won't be mistaken for yard debris.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:58 am »
Use what ever wood you can get hold off, or carry quickly in the dark without anyone noticing.  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:28 am »
One of the points about primitive bows is working with what you have.
If forced to suggest, I say 3-4" split in two, that way you can work and learn on one half while the other is seasoning more slowly.
The best stave is the one you have, not the one you are dreaming about.
The important thing is to start.
Once you start people will be keen to offer help...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:33 am »
Board bows are a great thing to start with because you can start your build as soon as you pick up your board. No drying required.

But if you are set on using a stave, I've read that it is easier to start with a fairly large diameter tree because you split it down to staves you get a relatively flat back, and a fairly square piece to work with. I've only ever tried saplings, so I can't confirm that personally, but it makes sense.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »
  Anyone of these will make a bow. I think even for begainers a stave bow is best. Alot better chance of it makeing it though mistakes where a board or sapling won't. But in the hands of someone exsperanced sapling bows are a close second.
  A stave makes a better all around bow. Before anyone starts saying this and that. I'm not saying you have'nt made a nice bow from these. IN GENERAL either won't stand up to a stave bow. When it comes to out lasting ,makeing a bow through the mistakes or looks in general.
  Not saying this is right on wong. Just the way I've come to see it through years of building bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:29 pm »
Start with the size that will give you the flattest back without having to chase a ring.  And make sure the wood is completely dry and free of cracks, bug holes, large knots, or mold.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »
Hey Chuk101,

I'm a bit of a noob also.  I just finished my 3rd bow and am working on my 4th.  First was hickory log, 2nd and 3rd were Red Oak board from Lowes, and now I'm working on Elm and Osage.  I'd suggest starting with a board board.  Becuase they are easiest and quickest and it will give you something to shoot while you plan other projects.  Get volume 1 of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible and read up.  It will explain the many types of woods that are good.  I posted a video of my making my last board bow which may be useful to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y7inwBgm38

This site will also walk you throuogh exactly what to do:  http://poorfolkbows.com/

Best of luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »
get your wood and split it and seal it up and then getr a nice hickory or white oak board and make some bows while the staves season, remember a board is just a decrowned staveand there aint a darn thing wrong with them, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹