Author Topic: Bow String- loops ????  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
Bow String- loops ????
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:00 pm »
hey guys  new here ..and new at self bows,trying to get into it,but anyways, question is,,I have a selfbow,  thick! but only #60,,, limbs are rectangular, like 4" down 3/4 x 3/8 so regular usual loops are very tight to slide up to string an a pain to unstring out of deep grooves,,that said,
 Can loops in a string be larger than the usual size an not affect anything except stringing?  (I realize it'd have to be a new string,,I jus ordered 2,,with bigger loops,,got 2 nice strings with reg loops..)...is it me? or is there a reason loops must be that size?? Seems no reason couldn't be twice as big,,jus sayin,....so confused! thanks! RC
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Bow String- loops ????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:15 pm »
I don't see any reason why the loops couldn't be made larger, I've made strings with several different loop sizes. I've seen different kinds of strings where the loops are very large, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're comfortable modifying that bow, you can probably smooth those edges down a bit near the tips without hurting it any.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »
When I make an endless loop string, I make one loop bigger than the other so it can slide down the limb easier.  If you are going to be building selfbows, you will be better off buying the material and making your own strings.  I'm not sure what you paid for those 2 strings, but I bet it was close to the cost of a spool of B-50.  You could probably get over 20 strings (just guessing) out of that spool.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:12:34 pm »
thanks!   okay,first, I'm not building....bad idea,, I have two self bows,#45 an #60,  I bought, really like! but the strings are aggravating! (both are by same builder)  I jus thought I could make stringing them a lil easier...holding the bow an fighting with the string jus invitin trouble, so I thought bigger loops (one big loop even better! lol) would solve my problem..unfortunately, somehow in emails my purpose was confused an I now own 2 strings which actually have smaller loops than ones I have now,,, okay,, now that I know its okay I'll shall search for such a string  thank you!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:29 am »
RCDEER, You have a PM
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:35:32 am »
  you too Osage.....Thanks
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:48 pm »
Big Thank You out to  osage outlaw for offerin up, an helpin me out!  Thank You Sir!
..Upstate N.Y.