Author Topic: Limb shape/tapering question  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Tortoise

Limb shape/tapering question
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
Hi all! I just got done cutting my riser and now time to move on to the limbs. This is my first longbow, it's osage orange with a hickory back. Now here's what I want to know: What shape should my limbs be in? This is what I came up with so far:

So basically the tip would be 1/2", and I went from both sides of the 1/2" tip in a straight line to where the riser (unshaped). The limbs are 31", and I'm looking for #45-50, not sure on the draw length yet. Please give me some help so I can continue my addiction  :)
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Limb shape/tapering question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »
Peter, cut it out and begin tillering. Osage likes a slightly crowned belly.  One thing that concerns me is the abrupt angle of your fades. That taper should be at least 1 1/2" to 2" long.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »
One thing that concerns me is the abrupt angle of your fades. That taper should be at least 1 1/2" to 2" long.
By abrupt you mean the sharper angle of the limb by the fades, or how the riser juts down (The riser isn't worked or rounded yet incase that's it) Thanks
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:55 pm »
Is that riser glued on or cut out? I noticed that your limb taper starts right where your fades end, and if your riser is glued on then there is a chance that it will pop off due to the stress concentration created by that design. If your riser is glued on it could be a problem, if its all one piece then you shouldn't worry about it.

I've learned that you need to either start your taper a couple inches up the limb, or extend your fade a ways into the taper or else you risk popping the riser.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:50:23 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:40 pm »
Glued on. It should work since still drafting with my limbs after all. I'll keep your idea in mind too.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:30 pm »
what everyone means is the distance from the end of the handle to the start of the working limb the fade, the drawing is the back of the bow, look's like you allready cut the limb thickness, if it is a even taper then the limb layout that you have is probablly the way to go, and a pyramid makes a fine shooting bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:56 pm »
How thick is your stave?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
Bub, that drawing is exactly what I've got, measurements and all. And pat, it's actually a board, which is 3/4" thick including the backing
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:29:35 am »
I still need help ^
-Peter
Arizona

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:15:02 am »
limb taper like you got, how wide are you at the fades?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:40:31 pm »
2" across
-Peter
Arizona

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:26 pm »
The pyramid shape you have drawn out will require a circular tiller, which is easier than an elliptical tiller for a beginner. I suggest cutting it out as you have drawn. If your backing the bow then you only need it 1 1/2" wide to accomodate a 28" draw up to 60# or so.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »
So the extra width won't be a problem correct? I'll start making shavings.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:02 pm »
The extra width will be a problem unless your making a 70-80# bow. If the bow is too wide it will get too thin if you want a 45-60# bow. Cit it out as is and come back with your rasp and narrow the fades and riser some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »
So I should get 1/8" out of both sides? Not including the riser either? I can manage that
-Peter
Arizona