Author Topic: My 2nd Bow Pics – Suggestions Welcome!  (Read 9507 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Re: My 2nd Bow Pics – Suggestions Welcome!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »
@TutleCreek: thanks much!
@gstoneberg: haha thanks man, this bowyer is just glad it has not broken…  yet
@Jimbob: You just need an axe bro, the rest is icing!    After that I suggest a decent rasp, sturdy vice, and draw knife in that order.  I’ll stress sturdy vice because my new heave duty vice is a dream compared to my original that needed constantly retightened. 
@blackhawk: Sensi of bows and brownies *bow*  ;)  At least one of us was confident it would be a shooter.  I got it with intent to chase a ring until I realized that the one side ran off.  Hopefully the backing will do its job.  It follows the string about 1.5 and 2.5 inches.  On a positive note that’s about ½ my first bow.  I assume the wood is dry this time, so how can I minimize that more in the future?  I did notice that I had almost no string follow until after 22 inches draw or so.  I drew 20-30 times an inch (too little?) and was only doing light tillering with a shave (the flat piece of steel) because it over floor tillered (the new tools were just too shiny, couldn’t resist).  After the offense I somehow remembered all your comments about patience.   
“you don't need me around anymore ” – ah ya.  Before I met you and Bill (and saw the bows on this site) I pretty much visualized an ideal bow as one that flung an arrow and didn’t break.  I don’t know if you guys could tell but I was sincerely blown away from what you have done.  They are highly functional, I’m sure, but they are works of art as well.  A quick glance at the BOW entries on here and I bet anyone would be instantly humbled.  What’s really appealing to me is that there is so much variety.  It really seems to be a way of expressing yourself through your work.  Hunting is still, and may always be, my priority but that aspect of this speaks to me as well. 
Any success on this bow is a direct result of your help, thank you! 
@Pappy: That’s much Pappy!
@George: thanks George!  To be honest I was only about 12 feet away but that’s still better than my first bow was doing.  
@lesken2011: Thanks much, I’m happy with the handle for a first attempt but I can think of ways to improve the back painting next time. 
@johnston: Thanks Lane!
@PearlDrums: haha
@coaster500: Yeppers! though I’m hoping to build one around 50# for hunting season. 
@Keenan: thanks, I’m just enjoying the process.

Set difference in first 2 bows:
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline MoNative

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:47 pm »
Looks good to me.  Would love to see a full draw picture.  Anybody who builds a hunting weight bow out of a red oak board is a bowyer for sure.

George
Done it! ;)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 03:44:37 pm »
Did you cut through the back to make a nock? Jawge

Yes I went straight in from the sides and then angle it 45 degrees across the belly and downward.  So the sides of the back of the bow has small crecent cuts into it.  Is that an issue? 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »
Your too kind rob....ok...do you want the gods honest truth...??  8)

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:05 pm »
@blackhawk  I'd expect nothing less!  I'm a tough MMA fighter remember?  I can take it.  haha
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »
Well then you'll have to grapple it outta me the next time ya come over   ;)....sooooo you making it over tomorrow eve?

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 04:54:28 pm »
For sure, that hunting bow ain't gonna tiller itself!  I can swing by earlier if that's cool, maybe 4:00 ish.  I'll get to see you place in daylight for once. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »
Leanr alll you can from Chris, just dont start building those super skinny sissy tips like his.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »
seriously you did a really good job for your second bow,and you learn and listen well. some folks go thru several attempts before getting one to shoot. so count your blessings.  :)  your string follow is average for a red oak board,and nothing to be concerned with. your tiller is good enough but theres a few small minor things that could make it better. ill go over with you about them in person. 4ish sounds good to me.

and dont mind pearl drums...hes just envious of my bows and only wishes he could make a bow as sweet as mine >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:57 pm »
 I agree with Chris. Your bow is great for a first, second or tenth.  My guess is you will be shooting it for years, not everybody can say that after the first full draw.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
That is a great tiller you should be very proud of that bow.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »
I'm wondering if some of the lost draw weight might be possible to get back on that bow if you were to flip the tips a bit?  They look thick engough to handle it without fear of causeing any twist. 

BTW - I'm not an expert here, just another "novice plus" with a question...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:32 pm »
Nice job. Like the detail on the artwork keep em coming  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »
That bow turned out sweet Rob..Good Job...So is the wife hating your new found hobby???LOL  Glad I could help ya out...So you gonna make it to the Classic this year with me and some PennsylTucky guys?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »
@Dazv: thanks I am and it was another great learning experience
@Onebowwonder: I’d be interested in the answer as well but I’m gonna call this bow done.  Nothing wrong with having a 42# er.  I’ll build some heavier ones soon I’m sure.
@soy: thanks, will do!
@HickoryBill: thanks bro and thanks for the idea of making a board bow from Home Depot!  My wife has been with me a long time; she knows I go 100% or not at all.  She has been understanding and I only work on my bows after our daughter goes to bed.    BTW sorry for my daughter’s texts, she likes to play with Daddy’s phone.  I’d very much like to go but I’ll have to work it out with my wife.  I am already going on 2 hunting trips this year (Clarion and IL) so if I go somewhere else I’ll likely have to bring her.  We’re discussing it…
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA