Author Topic: camp stove fuel?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline jkyarcher

camp stove fuel?
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
I was wondering this weird idea. This isn't really about archery but about backpacking stoves. When backpacking I use the

little homemade alcohol stoves. I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be possible to make a stove that runs off of a

flammable natural oil like safrole,birch, or pine. I know these are all flammable but are pretty strong smelling and probably

toxic, but I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas about something like this.

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: camp stove fuel?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:40:05 am »
Interesting question...I would like to know too.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: camp stove fuel?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:43 pm »
Someone "MIGHT" be able to do this but I cant see how anyone could keep it from smoking to high heaven.

Such a stove would have to be made out of something much more heat resident that an aluminum soda can.  Other wise the heat would melt it.  The only way it could be kept from smoking would be to get the temperature much higher....

Have you ever tried a wood-gas stove?  I have made several.  Some work quite well if you can find dry fuel for them.  The best fuel I ever found is old, very dry Hickory Nuts.  Make sure the nuts are either cracked or have holes from bore worms in them.
Other wise it's firecrackers in a tin can.  :o

They are a bit difficult to set fire to in such a small space but it works well once the fire is rolling.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama