Author Topic: Short bow  (Read 1560 times)

Offline sharpend60

Short bow
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »
I'm wanting to build a short bow for snap shooting and toting around while I'm out hiking. I don't see rabbits until they flush usually while I have my arms full of bow wood or antler sheds... Ive been packing a static tip 56" recurve. I'll get pics up some day.

Sinew backed of course, ~60lbs @ ~24 inches. Something between 40"- 50"

West coast style or plains horse bow style, hybrid?
I'm looking for ease of construction and of course performance w/ durability.

What say ye?

blackhawk

Re: Short bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:22:12 pm »
any of those you mentioned will be fine...follow your hearts desire and choose one.

heres a shorty i posted last week. its unbacked...which is an easier construction than a sinew joby,with plenty of performance and durability.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30598.0.html

you can pretty much make any bend thru the handle bow unbacked bend half its length...flip the tips to ease the stacking if you wish...so for approx a 24" draw make it about 48"-50"....sinewing is more time consuming...lots of options man

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:25:29 pm »
I'm just having trouble making up my mind...

I could always build more than one...

I live in a very dry area at the moment, I'm gonna stick to backed bows for a while. I blew one of my favorite shooters shortly after moving here.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:29:43 pm »
id get ahold of some hickory then and make whatever you want with it...once ya make up your mind ;)..that can be hard to do sometimes....sometimes longer than it actually takes to build one :laugh: