Author Topic: Where to find ipe?  (Read 7866 times)

Offline PeteC

Where to find ipe?
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:16:49 pm »
After reading the article on ipe bows in this months edition of PA,I've got to locate this wood.I would appreciate any info on reliable sources,so as to find the genuine thing.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks and God Bless. Pete C
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline PeteC

Re: Where to find ipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:36:38 pm »
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out.I had read somewhere about finding ipe at flooring companies,and was wanting to pick out my own board.Can anyone verify this?Thanks, God Bless, PeteC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:39:22 pm »
   Ya need ta tell who ever ya buy from that ya want boards without runouts er swirls in grain. Ifn ya look yerself thats what ya wanna look fer. Daylite is best ifn artificial light bring a magnifyin' glass. I dont like the stuff florrin' companies have, my 2 cents.........bob

Offline Tim B

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »
I found a good selection of Ipe at a local hardwood store in my area here in California. It is more popular than I had originally thought and was easy to find once I googled it on line.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:52:12 pm »
Is the wood at the flooring companies what the article refered to as "brazilian mahogany"? In other words,not the real enchilada. Thanks for the info,Pete

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:01:40 pm »
It's best to do the research to find the nearest source and actually go there. Anywhere mid to high end housing is being built, there's probably a yard with ipe in the region.

Another trick for looking at the grain, again in daylight like Bob mentioned  is to get a wet rag and wipe down the board. This will highlight the grain.

Rich-

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:09:25 pm »
                                    Ive heard ipe reffered ta as walnut (brazilian) and ironwood but not mahogony. Be careful ya can get related species like cumaru, latin name I freget. Good luck......bob

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:12:55 pm »
Rich, can a ring be chased with ipe',and if not ,how many run'offs would be acceptable for a selfbow?Also do you look for the flattest grain,quarter-sawn board you can find? Thanks and God Bless, PeteC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 11:23:00 pm »
I ordered some through a local lumberyard and told them it had to be straight grain. Needless to say it wasnt but Im gona use it anyway with a bamboo back I think it will stay together.     I got some from a guy on ebay once so did my neighbor. He paid $6.00 + shipping and I paid like $16 we both got perfect boards perfectly straight square and no knots. The guy is selling it as bow staves and seems to pick nice wood. Well at least ours were good. You are still taking a chance buying anything sight unseen.
                              Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:55:12 pm »
Pete, If I find a perfect looking board I will use it for a selfbow. I have made a few with very slight run-offs, but  only in the grip or tips sections. I prefer flat sawn, but have used boards cut every way with bamboo just to see if they work.. On a board with highly visible rings you could follow one, but I have never bothered..

Years ago I made a longbow with several good run-offs to abuse on the tiller set-up just to see what it would take. Frankly it took a lot more than I thought it would, and if I hadn't blown when I  tried to bend it into a circle on the last pull, I would have backed it with bamboo..

So I know you can have some "grain deviation" and get away with it..I just can't say  it's "ok"  for ethical reasons, and I don't want anyone to catch a limb in the noggin..

Rich

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:22 am »
If the bow is backed with hickory or bamboo a certain amount of grain run off seems OK, even with a highly stressed belly like an ELB. The only backed Ipe bow that has failed eventually on me was a failry short high stressed RD bow pulling 70lbs.
Ipe is a family of trees rather than one so there is a fair amount of variation in grain, colour etc. Some has greenish powdery bits, some yellow  but all I have tried is good.
It takes a fair amount of time to ddry out completely so maybe expect some loss of moisture even after it is apparently properly dry.
Mark in England

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »
Rich (the author of the article) is being very circumspect, so as not to overstep any bounds I suppose, but I should hope it is alright to say - I would check his website for "my" Ipe ;D, personally.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 07:49:03 pm »
I've made two elbs of ipe backed with bamboo.  The first broke on the tiller though I'm really not sure why, the second developed some bad chrysals almost immediately, but this may have been something to do with the wood getting wet as it poured down when I first tested the bow (before putting the finish on).  Still got the bow but not shooting it - it is the fastest of my 3 elbs.

It may be the bamboo backing I used was too thick for the belly wood. Next ipe bow I try will have a central core (probably balau 'cos I've got some) and a thinner boo backing.

Some professional bowyers are now using ipe regularly for elbs here in the UK, the bows are small in diameter for their draw weight.

Tilbilly

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 10:33:28 pm »
Could check out ipedepot.com   On another site, somone posted some nice 'boo backed ipe bows. When asked about his source, this is where he got it. I have no experience with this place personally.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 11:38:46 pm »
  Rich,I have a great piece of Ipe Bob gave me.I sanded down some bamboo to almost paper thin and backed it with Urac.I really don't want to make an ELB again.So, can I make a flat bow,And if so,how wide would you go?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?