Author Topic: polyurethane?  (Read 10508 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: polyurethane?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 04:32:20 pm »
If you seal moisture in your bow you are making a perfect environment for rot. The spores are in the air all the time but it takes a moist environment for them to flourish. After all, it is the job of fungi to eat wood. If it weren't for that the earth would be completely covered with dead wood...and other more repulsive things!  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »
ok thanks everyone, but one more question. how long should i let my next stave dry before i begin to work it? it will probably be either cherry or hickory

Have a good search through the forum about drying wood. It doesnt have to take as long as you think. I find it best to split so that you have half or less in each round. So if its sapling them into half, if its larger then more. I then leave for a week or two outisde under cover. Then i take it down to rough bow dimensions and leave it for a bit again. Then debark, yet again leave it for a week or so. The it comes indoors in my office which runs a few computers all day so its nice dry and warm and leave it for a few more weeks. Then i slowlly work the bow down further and store it indoors between sessions. If you want to know if its still wet then weight the stave, once it stops loosing weight for a few weeks its pretty much dry. Try and do a few staves at a time dont limit your self to one, all eggs in same basket etc.
You can go from green to bow in no time at all but you need to understand what happens when wood dries and how to best control the loss of moisture. Reading and expereince will help with this. But a blanket statement of 6 months or years isnt quite true. Also look of heat box or drying box.

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 02:16:06 pm »
ok thanks again for the help everyone!

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 11:14:10 am »
I have a nice hickory bow that i only cured for 3 weeks before i made the bow ... and it shoots great ... however . I live isweltering hot florida and it sat in my hot dry garage to cure up ... then after maki g it i did not ahoot or seL it for 3 months . ( exept right when i made it ) it now shoots incredible and after about 12 good oil baths over a week ... i just put one coat of poly on it and it looks store baught. ... 2 things i wanna touch on though ... 1 the bow did "snake out on me "  and 2 with a hivh gloss finish ... you can rub wax on it and not buff it out while you go hunting ... then once home from hunt you can buff it off and back to a glistening shine . ....
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline seabass

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:11 pm »
if you want a shiney bow that is fine.just buy some camo limb covers for when you hunt.you can have the best of both worlds.
Middletown,Ohio