Author Topic: polyurethane?  (Read 10507 times)

Offline blackpanem

polyurethane?
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:01:19 am »
am i able to use polyurethane as a finish on my bow? also if i can will it increase the draw? and if i do, my bow is still a little green, if i put the poly on it will it screw things up?

Offline DRon knife

Re: polyurethane?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:42:32 am »
I don't know what the experts will say,but I use it at work a lot and I hate It! It adds durability to woods But makes them look plastic imo! I've never put it on one of my bows. I have a can(dated 1950)of Archer raw linseed oil that my grandfather had in his cellar,that's all I've ever used. I wanna add,there's no real smell,no game spooking glare,no shrinkage cracks(see it at work a lot on older thane jobs)and a personal favorite,turns white woods to a subtle orangy/yellow over time. Sorry but I just don't like urathane or any shiny crud on my bows,Ron :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:48 am »
Poly will work fine for bow finish. I use satin poly over a Tru-Oil finish to cut the shine.
  If yout bow wood is still grean it is not a bow. Its a noodle.Give it time to dry completely. The weight will raise as it dries but if you stress it too much before it is ready you will ruin your bow before you get to enjoy it.
 No finish I know of will add draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:26:13 am »
Polyurethane doesn't have to be shiny.  I don't really care to have a glossy shine on my bows either (although it totally suits some bows), but wipe-on satin poly is all I use.  It's super easy to apply, dries fast, I don't have to worry about drips or runs, and it seals out moisture.  But in your case, it would also lock moisture in... I'd let it dry a while yet before putting any type of sealer on it.  Ideally it would be seasoned well before beginning the tillering  ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:49:51 am »
Wait. Did you make a bow out of green wood? Not a good idea.  You can seal the back but leave the belly alone until the wood is dry. The moisture needs to leave from somewhere. What wood is it? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
I use polly a lot and find its pretty good with our UK damp climate.
I also wax polish over that if out in the woods for teh weekend, not bow hunting.

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:40 pm »
george, its hickory and it IS green. i am way too impatient to let it dry out all the way

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:55 pm »
You will learn one day to let it dry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:52:01 pm »
As I understand it, that green bow needs to be clamped to something while it dries so it won't warp, twist, and everything else you don't want.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »
Twists, warping, horribly sluggish cast, massive set to name a few reasons it should be dry Gary.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:36 pm »
I echo everyone else's opinions about letting the wood dry.

But back to poly-you're-insane.  Go for the low gloss or satin.  Apply sparingly, allow lots of time for it to cure, touch it up lightly with very fine steel wool between coats, and add lots of coats.  Then when you have about a dozen coats on, touch it up again with the fine steel wool to take off any remaining gloss for a nice matte finish.  In late winter when you are done hunting for the year and before spring comes with moisture, add a couple more coats of poly, finishing off with that steel wool again.  It makes for a durable surface that to some degree discourages the wood from picking up moisture (no finish seals really out humidity). 

That's if you want a matte finish for hunting, glossy bows scare game.  But if you are building a bow for a target shooter or a wall hanger for a friend that just wants to show off your bows go all in for the glossiest finish you can make! Nothing catches the eye of a non-primitive archer than shiny things!!!  >:D  For some reason matte finishes turn them off.  Make it look like plastic and they don't feel so scared.   >:D >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »
ok thanks everyone, but one more question. how long should i let my next stave dry before i begin to work it? it will probably be either cherry or hickory

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:19 pm »
No less than six months in stave form on all white woods.

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 04:07:45 pm »
ok, because i watched a video on youtube that made said a month or so.... i guess he had no idea what he was talking about

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:20 pm »
You can make a bow from tree to bow in two hours if you dont care about performance or longevity. Maybe that guy doesnt care?