Author Topic: Hackberry Longbow  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hackberry Longbow
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too much... just pretend you wanted it a tad it whip :laugh:
there's more than one way to tiller a bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 12:46:02 am »
Del, thats basically what I do on every bow I make that ends up whippy.  Or anything else wrong with it for that matter. :laugh: By the way Del, I decided to flip the tips just cause I know you hate that.  ;D ;D ;D Naw, but it has like 3" set on both limbs (all my fault not the bows) and the only way I have at the moment of reducing the set is flipping the tips. This has been a very annoying bow to tiller. After struggling to get the braced profile looking good, I find one limb is alot stronger than the other. Then after fixing that, the brace is back to looking like a yumi bow instead of a longbow? ? ? Anyway, I did end up getting the bow to work better mid limb and not be so whip ended. Got rid of that hinge looking spot on the top, which was really the worst thing irking me. I am pretty happy so far. I am flipping the tips a bit on some new not so dramatic tip flipping forms at the moment, so it will be a little bit till I have some pictures. I kinda wish I hadn't made the temp nocks and did some nicer nocks I could keep, but I am kinda forced to use horn nocks now that my temp nocks are so ugly. Ill post some pics in a couple days... Steve, btw, those turkey fletchings were great, I got most of em processed and am wait till I got a spinner to make some arrows.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:51 pm »
Ok, she survived tip flipping. Braced er up, and she looks real good. I am thinking I will be ordering some horn nocks tonight.  :laugh: I will have a fulldraw when my wife gets home from school to take a photo tonight. I am thinking 60# or so @ 28". Here is a photo of the bow after having the tips flipped. I took the forms off only 20 minutes, or maybe a half an hour, after steam bending em. They held fine. I waited till this morning to brace it though.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:05:23 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 02:01:44 am »
Current fulldraw (sorry for bad quality)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:20 am »
It looks a lot better with the flipped tips.  Some dark horn nocks would really set it off.  When you go to get a heat gun, you don't need the expensive ones from Lowes or HD.  Walmart has a cheap one.  I think it is a wagner.  I have been using mine for at least 4 years now and it still works great.  It quit working once, but once I repaired the melted spot in the cord it was good to go  ::)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
That turned out nice, that should be a sweet shooter. :) You are right horn nocks would really set it off. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »
Thanks guys. I ordered some horn nocks yesterday, so when they are finished ill post some better pics I promise. I tried to get it a little less whippy. I'm sorry about the crappy quality pictures. This camera is really kicking my butt. I really am thinking about springing for a new camera. I can't even use the picture taking feature on this one as it is impossible to get a picture without it being all blurry, so I have to make a movie on the thing and then use the windows movie maker program to take a picture out of the movie. Do you guys know a good camera for less than 100 dollars or around there that will give me at least decent quality pictures? I saw some nice ones at sears the other day for around 60 - 80 dollars, way nice than the one I got now, which for some reason cost me 50 dollars at target, but seems more like a kids toy than an actual usable camera.