Author Topic: anything better than,,,,,  (Read 2567 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

anything better than,,,,,
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:05:28 pm »
   On a  snowy day after hunting seasons over , than listening to  the pressure cooker jiggle,,,,,knowing  beans  are for dinner,,,and corn bread too  JeffW

Offline gstoneberg

Re: anything better than,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »
Be better if I was there.... ;D  Do you put syrup on your cornbread like I do?  Every time my wife cooks a big old ham with some rind on it I begin to think about beans and cornbread.  One of life's simple pleasures.  She freezes both the cornbread and the beans so I can have it for lunch at work.  Had some on Friday.  Yummm!  (The guy that sits in the other desk in our office hates it.  The aftermath can be brutal... >:D)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:23:39 pm »
MMMM, love me some beans!  Problem with that is now my digestive system is adapted to them and I don't get the pleasure of being my own pressure cooker.  Admit it, that's half the fun of eating beans!

Last week I did a batch of black beans made with guajillo peppers, added some chopped green peppers, onions, and diced tomatoes just at the very end.  Dashed some flour tortillas off on my genuine lefse griddle so I could have fresh hor tortillas with the beans.  A glass of Chasing Lions Cabernet Sauvignon and I had a meal.  Would have been better with some caso fresco, but that's life.

Mmm, yeah, I love me some beans.  Anywhere, anywho, anywhy. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:32:10 pm »
having soup beans with ham hocks and corn bread tonight.had them last night too,but the second day is always better.BTW soup beans are pinto beans where i come from.also make great northern white beans and ham sometimes.can't beat the brown beans though.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:11:09 pm »
  Now  remember,,I'm in way-upstate New York,,my  roots  are in the south west hub of Virginia and Italy so my corn bread has to be done in a black cast fry pan not sweet  if I could get it  I will put  some  sweet  sorghum on my biscuts and corn bread :P  I have one jar of sorghum from the moonlight barbecue in Kentucky left :o  and I will save the bark off a  ham and such we  can't get  that Virginia ham here in NEW York but that'll make good  beans to  and I all ways make  extra  corn bread  and for my bed time snack  I crumble corn bread in a water glass and fill it with butter milk and eat it with a spoon!!  it's good with milk too  you guys should  try that some time  Jeff

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:17 pm »
MMMM, love me some beans!  Problem with that is now my digestive system is adapted to them and I don't get the pleasure of being my own pressure cooker.  Admit it, that's half the fun of eating beans!

Once again you have some learning to do my friend.  That's a symptom of old age JW.  It's not that you're not pressure cooking anymore, it's that you can't tell anymore...but everyone else can. >:D >:D  Ask me how I know... :'( :'(  the wife reminds me. :-[ :-[

I like buttermilk and I like corn bread, but I can't imagine putting the 2 together.  My wife buys dry beans on sale, mixes them together and has them on the counter in blue antique quart jars.  Whenever I make a wild pork ham she takes a quart of them and makes us some soup.  It's about the only time I get out my maple syrup I've been hoarding since moving to Texas.  Cullinary heaven.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »

Ah, beans, a simple, yet complex food.  Protein, and carbohydrate.  Hence the bloating, and subsequent "Venting", or marking your territory...... :o  :P;)  I love buttermilk pancakes, and biscuits, but that is where the love stops!  I don't even want to be at the same table with it.  My family used to drink buttermilk, and My Dad would put his fried corn bread crumbled up in it.  My Buddy's Dad would do the same, as well as my Grandfather.  I couldn't stand the smell, or taste, or sight of it.  Looked like, and smelled like Baby burp! :P :o  And how the heck do you tell when it has gone bad?! Now back to the edible part, I love pinto beans, black beans, red beans, but my favorite is Ford Hook Lima Beans, with Knorrs leek soup mix, and onions, and granulated garlic, salt and pepper, Cajun season, and diced ham, or ham hocks!  Man is that good!  But for soup, I have to say, even being from the South, I do love Great Northern beans for soup!  If you want to try something really good, instead of putting in a hamhock, or chunk of ham, slice up a Hilshire Farms, smoked sausage, turkey or beef, and put that in.  Trust me it sho am some kinda good!  Dang, I just ate, and my mouth is watering now!I was brought up on pan fried corn bread, not the Yankee style, though I do like it!  Honey, or syrup was good, but just plain ol real butter, not that plastic stuff, that is NOT healthier!  Beans, one of God's simple pleasures he bestows on us, yet it is like a tease for gluttony.  Cold night, Chili!  Cold night or day, Beans and ham, or parts there of.  Prefferably smoked!  Gotta have them sweet onions, and garlic also, and a dash or three of Cajun season!  I like McCormick's Perfect Pinch, Original Chicken.  It is good on chicken, steak, fish, pork, any kind of meat.  I use it in just about everything.  I stopped buying their granulated garlic however, since it is a product of China, and I don't want to be wondering if I am getting all garlic, or roach spit, factory dust, rodent droppings, and belly button lint, combined.  Anywho, love them beans, a simple but satisfying repast, with corn bread, and a side of fresh home grown tomatoes, and onions,and sliced cucumbers, with salt and pepper, and a dash of Italian dressing, or just plain apple cider vinegar.  Even with a nice chunk of home made French Bread, and some sharp cheddar cheese. 8)  Now, what do I have in the fridge to snack on...... ::)

Wayne

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »
sounds like i need to make soup beans and corn bread at this years classic.in cast iron dutch oven over the fire.probably get a few converts.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:12:58 pm »
HEY GEORGE!!   You need maple syrup???  I can't go ten miles any direction and not hit a sugar shack!  May be I do have something to trade? Jeff   ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 11:37:04 pm »
You bet your life Jeff, that osage blank can be headed your way pretty quick.  Wahoo!!!
St Paul, TX

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:17:14 am »
Water,salt,pepper,onion,hunk of smoked hog, any kind of dried bean....Yeah !    Corn meal,salt,pepper, hard shake of flour,water or milk or buttermilk to wet and thin, pour that on a greasy, smokin' flatiron   Eat that stuff...It'll hold ya'      '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 03:42:10 pm »
I enjoyed a similar meal Sunday for breakfast...squirrel in gravy with biscuits! Not bad if I say so myself! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 03:48:08 pm »
buttermilk... smelled like Baby burp! :P :o  And how the heck do you tell when it has gone bad?!

I stopped buying their granulated garlic however, since it is a product of China, and I don't want to be wondering if I am getting all garlic, or roach spit, factory dust, rodent droppings, and belly button lint, combined. 
                                           Wayne

As a beekeeper (hobbyist) I was shocked to come across this information online:
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

The Food And Drug Administration seems to be turning a blind eye on our food purity laws, but even more aggravating is the number of American honey producers that are buying up the cheap Chinese toxin-in-a-barrel and repackaging it as AMERICAN!  The same businesses pushing for high tariffs on Chinese honey!  Buy more honey, buy from local beekeepers, American bees need the work!  Ok, whose next for the soapbox. 

Oh, and I mentioned to my doctor that I don't seem to get any effect from beans anymore.  He prescribed a sinus decongestant and has me scheduled to be fitted with hearing aids.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »

J.W. Halverson says;

"Oh, and I mentioned to my doctor that I don't seem to get any effect from beans anymore.  He prescribed a sinus decongestant and has me scheduled to be fitted with hearing aids."
                        :o :o :P ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like your house might be infested with African Barking Spiders! :o  Toads, and Ducks!  Watch your step. ;) :P

Wayne

[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:26:32 pm by stickbender »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
I like beans, OK...I guess. I mean, I come home and ask, "Honey, what's for dinner?" and she says, "beans". To be honest, I like beans, but it doesn't really grab me. I think to myself, she must be a glutton for punishment, since she knows for the next couple of days there will be this light green misty pungent fog around our house. We'll I guess that's the price you pay!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA