Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6578 times)

Offline richsmith

Hello
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:32:44 am »
Hello, Just thought Id say hi, my names Rich and I'm from Dorset... Im passionate about archaeology and history, especially British military history, I also love the outdoors...especially hillwalking and bushcraft.

I recently chanced upon a programme on Discovery about the Mary Rose; it featured research on the English Longbow by Steve Stratton and Mark Stretton so I thought Id look into it a bit further. Ive got to say now I'm here, Im absolutely hooked !!!

Im hoping to build my own warbow, to see how they were constructed and how they shoot. Im also looking forward to getting proficient in using the bow that I make.

I joined the forum to learn all I can and have a look at what other people are doing/ using. Hope to chat soon, thanks for having me

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:56:11 am »
Hi good to have another UK guy aboard, have a look at my website and bowyers diary. Google delsbows or bowyers diary to find me.
I'm in the UK (Essex).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline richsmith

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:44:46 am »
Hi Del, already one step ahead of you!!! Had a good look around at your blog and site already along with the 'back-street bowyer' - loads of great info...

Im going to have a practise run with some kiln dried ash, I do have a question though; I know the best woods are yew, ash, elm but I can get my hands on some holly, sloe/ blackwood and cherry soon... would these woods be any good for making a longbow? Im about to clear some space in the garden and these trees are literally 'for the chop'  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:28 am »
I think all of those will make a bow, Cherry has a reputation for being a bit brittle, so is often backed with something (Ash works well)
Dunno if they will necessarilly make a warbow, but if you make 'em long and a bit wider you will doubtless get some sort of bow. I'd start with something more manageable, A 40 - 50# bow is going to be much easier than a 100# and it will teach you plenty.
Gather any wood you can, as it can be seasoning while you are looking for some better stuff.
A stave in the shed is worth 2 in the woods.
Del
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:08:40 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline richsmith

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:04:20 pm »
A stave in the shed is worth two in the woods... I like that, could be a signature  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »
I'll second that as a good signature line.  I may even steal it. 

Welcome to the addiction!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline richsmith

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »
Just in from cutting down trees in garden all day, the cherry is really brittle and I couldn't really get a stave cut from it without shattering. The holly is a no-go because it's not big enough. Tomorrow I'll be cutting the blackthorn; but already I cant see anything big enough for a stave... I've got my eye on some kiln dried ash at my local wood store so I'll probably start with that. Pip Bickerstaffe's book has just arrived today so that'll be a big help. I'll keep you posted on my progress :-)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »
I have made a few ELB's, albeit not in the warbow range.  Some have shot wonderfully, one indifferent, and one had handshock sufficient to cause brain aneurisms and loose stools.  Knowing Mr. Bickerstaff's reputation as a bowyer, I owe it to myself to get that book.  If nothing else, it might just be good reading on a winter's nite.

Good luck with your search for wood, Rich. I know it's always more satisfying to use wood you cut yourself, but there is no shame in "harvesting" a radically decrowned stave from the lumberyard.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »
Welcome Rich,

Kiln dried ash is good stuff you can make a heavy bow from it and with a little heat treating it will stay a good bow.

Have you looked into making a laminate to begin with?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline richsmith

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:07:58 pm »
I'm in two minds about laminates, the traditionalist side of me wants to start with a self bow... I figure I'll start with ash and then see where it takes me... I'm hooked now so I'm guessing I'll be here for a while :-)

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 12:21:21 am »
Welcome aboard, Rich.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 02:24:28 am »
I have made a few ELB's, albeit not in the warbow range.  Some have shot wonderfully, one indifferent, and one had handshock sufficient to cause brain aneurisms and loose stools.  Knowing Mr. Bickerstaff's reputation as a bowyer, I owe it to myself to get that book.  If nothing else, it might just be good reading on a winter's nite.

Good luck with your search for wood, Rich. I know it's always more satisfying to use wood you cut yourself, but there is no shame in "harvesting" a radically decrowned stave from the lumberyard.

I must admit to not being a fan of Pip Bickerstaffe, mainly because of his outlandish claims etc, but I do have all of his books. On bow building the books do not have anything not found elsewhere, but, from memory, his book " Medieval War Bows" is the only source I have found that gives dimensions for the slots, both nock and reinforcement, for typical MR arrows.

Craig.

Offline richsmith

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »
Craig do you have any suggestions on books or websites to help a novice bow-builder? (I won't call myself a bowyer just yet) I found Del's blog and diary very useful as was the back street bowyer... Im just in the process of choosing some kiln dried ash... Think I'm going to try for a bow around 30 to 40 lbs to start with and see what happens

Offline Ian.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:35 pm »
Build-alongs are the best way to learn. Make a start post it up and ask for suggestions. There is the odd pamphlet on making bows but they aren't interactive.

If you are going down the Kiln dried ash route I would strongly suggest the first few bows are made with the grain 90 degree to the back/belly, it will reduce the risk of compression marks forming. And you don't have to worry about chasing a ring. For that weight you can get a board 1" thick and cut it into 1"/1" sections lengths.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 04:35:14 pm »
I would recommend you get the Traditional Bowyers Bible books. Start with just the 1st one, make a few bows then buy the others. IMO these are much better than most other books as they deal with the whys and don't repeat a lot of the misinformation that is out there regarding wooden bows.
When you select your ash board use ONLY boards with perfectly straight grain on all four edges. If you can't find any this good then back it with linen. Remember the first thing is to get a shooter. Board selection is absolutely key to making un-backed board bows.
Good luck.